Search the forum,

Discuss Freezing kits. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jackplumb

Anyone got a POLAR ARTIC freezing kit and are they any good?

Anyone got a POLAR ARTIC freezing kit and are they any good?
Is this the one that uses freezing cans? If it is, it's expensive to upkeep and not that good compared to a full dedicated freezer. Go for the Rothenberger Rofrost that uses a CO2 cylinder from BOC and freezes up to 65mm.

Or go for one of the electric models but you'll need a power supply/extension to plug it into the mains and if it's on a site it will need to be 110v.

What's the cost of the C02 refills an rent and how many freezes can you expect to get per cylinder roughly?

What's the cost of the C02 refills an rent and how many freezes can you expect to get per cylinder roughly?
I use mine about 2-3 times a week, freezes 15mm cold main in about 3 mins, 22mm in about 4 mins, and I sometimes keep the gas on it depending on how long I'm working on the pipe. Hasn't let me down and it's been great for towel rads without draining down and also older properties where you just don't want to turn an ancient old stop valve off because it will probably get stuck.

Refills cost about £14 for the slightly larger than a fire extinguisher sized bottle I have, (I also fix this to a small trolley so it's portable), rental fees, I'm not sure of with BOC but the simplicity and the benefits of this pay for itself. The gas lasts me a long time, sometimes I get 2 months out of it, but depends on how long you keep the gas on the pipe. The advantages are you can easily be an hour draining down and refilling a system, while it can be frozen in 5 minutes.

There is a company on ebay that if you make a one off purchase of the bottle (about £80), there is no rental charge and refills are very cheap.

I like the gas version over the electric one as I can take it anywhere, even into properties that have no electricity, but everyone has their own preference, I'd suggest that you HIRE both and try them out to see what one you think is the best for you.

Cheers Colin, electric ones look good but they cost a lot more ££££'s, think I'll go with the Co2 one when i can part with the money :)

I had a polar kit. Worked brilliantly to be honest. But you've got to work quickly and nobody can guarantee that every time. So I upgraded to Rothy Eco Freeze. Brilliant machine. But does cost best part of 600 squids.

keep a disposable kit in the van at all times for small quick jobs anything else just hire an electric one once frozen it will stay frozen as long as youve got electric
just charge it to the job
i allways found the co2 ones to be unreliable and if the job takes longer than expected is one bottle going to be enough ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Freezing kits. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock