Discuss Flue for old atmospheric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

HI,

I had a new gas meter fitted a year ago and the installer said he wasn't happy with the flue. I have lost the report but would like to correct any faults.
The boiler is an old Thorn floor mounted atmospheric boiler which is located in the corner of a single story flat roofed garage which is attached to 2 floor house. Above the boiler you can see the bottom of the brick chimney which runs up the side of the house to roof level.
A flexible stainless flue liner runs from the top to the bottom of the chimney and connects directly to the boiler. So from the boiler to the ceiling in the garage where it enters the chimney there is an exposed unprotected section of flue liner.
Is this allowable in the gas regs? Should there be a solid section of flue from boiler to the ceiling and if so should it be double skinned.
Thanks very much for any advice
Steve

It’s a tricky one. Some pics might help however I think you are going to need to enlist a gas engineer with a little experience of old floor standing open flued appliances. Problem with meter fitters is that most of them are just that. They know how to purge and relight appliances and if they don’t they tend to whack a warning sticker on them until you get someone out with the full ticket

HI,

I had a new gas meter fitted a year ago and the installer said he wasn't happy with the flue. I have lost the report but would like to correct any faults.
The boiler is an old Thorn floor mounted atmospheric boiler which is located in the corner of a single story flat roofed garage which is attached to 2 floor house. Above the boiler you can see the bottom of the brick chimney which runs up the side of the house to roof level.
A flexible stainless flue liner runs from the top to the bottom of the chimney and connects directly to the boiler. So from the boiler to the ceiling in the garage where it enters the chimney there is an exposed unprotected section of flue liner.
Is this allowable in the gas regs? Should there be a solid section of flue from boiler to the ceiling and if so should it be double skinned.
Thanks very much for any advice
Steve
Bluntly if the Gsr whom replaced ur meter did not cut you off but id you must not have been too worried at the time. However ...you and your family live in thus buiding and you must feel unsafe otherwise you would not have posted. We can give you advice based in the info you state. I think you should call out a GSR professional to advise you about your flue 1 st hand

and expect to pay ... afterall you do not want to wake up dead

Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I’d also prepare to not be able to flue this appliance anymore so if it’s wrong it may be new boiler time

The clue is in the name. Flue LINER. No part should be visible. However, without looking it up, I am 99.9% sure that, provided it passes all the safety tests, spillage and smoke, it is classed only as NCS.
To rectify, one would replace the liner with something like Selkirk IL, which is a twin wall flue.

If I was approached to rectify, I would be checking the requirements- it has been years since I fitted Selkirk.

TBH, the cost of rectification may be better spent on a new boiler

Non compliant, but agreed if it’s the wrong material used for flue then it could be AR

Thanks for the replies. I've tried to attach a picture showing the flue and boiler but it would seem like the section of flexible flue liner from the boiler to ceiling should be replaced with twin wall?

20190209_100003.jpg

20190209_095956.jpg

Should definitely be in solid flue.
Also the hole in the liner where they take analyser readings etc shouldn’t be there potential Products of combustion (POC) entering the room

Reply to Flue for old atmospheric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long story short, our boiler has been replaced with a combi and the loft and airing cupboard are now devoid of tanks and pipework, except...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has...
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock