Discuss Flue cages in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkOil

So here's a question, I find a fair few old cages on SE boilers that have rotted away and become very sharp, is that just the norm that they need replacing?
Also, should cages for new condensing flues be plastic, plastic coated or stainless?

Stainless Steel is the only metal cage that won't rot. The flue gases will even damage any galvanised cages. Plastic coating tends to rot in the sun.

Just a part of service in my books. If basket gone add an extra on . Nothing's invincible

why is a cage required on a condensing flue, not hot enough to burn you?

What do you do when you fit an external oil boiler, screw it to the case?

What do you do when you fit an external oil boiler, screw it to the case?

Worcesters have four machine screws on that crappy external flue kit. Warmflow gets nothing but the bits that come with it.

think on the new ones it's probably to give it a bit of protection. could I also use stainless on the old boilers? Could just keep a few of them on my van then.

Stainless steel flue pipes last forever, so proper stainless steel cages will do same.
I think the cages stop you bumping into the sharp flue.

Prevention, as with any low level flue.

Prevent fingers getting trapped , prevent foreign objects being pushed in.

Prevent damage to terminal, prevent tea towels, gloves etc hung over to dry (yes I've come across this on several occasions).

Among other reasons.

Terminal guards have always been to protect the terminal. The protection of the user is secondary.

I asked the very same question to Grant some time ago and they said they are to keep leaves, birds, rodents and other foreign objects out of the flue or air intake rather than for protection of persons.

which begs the question as to why gas flues dont require a cage if the outlet is over 2m high!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue cages in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock