Discuss Flexible flue liner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backboiler

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have been asked to do a quote on fitting a ss flexible flue liner in an existing chimney but I have never done one or been shown how to fit one. Customer is wanting a gas stove. How difficult a job is it. Can anyone give me a few pointers or post a good link please?

liners are generally easy to drop,getting on the roofs the hard bit i use a roofer normally roofer goes up top chucks a weighted cord down attached to the liner between you and him you pull it down to wherever you need it he does his bit on top you terminate the appliance end

It's not that difficult really.
The hardest bit is being on top of a chimney is fluctuating wind directions with 15m of 5 inch liner fighting you every inch of the way.
Definitely a young mans game.
Eventually I realised the folly and subbed the jobs out to a roofer, I supplied the liner kit and supervised from below.

I understand you can buy a kit with the liner and accessories but it only has one clamp plate. I realise you have fit the clamp plate at the bottom but how is it secured at the top? and do you leave the top entirely to the roofer? Does he/her fix it, flaunch it and fit the terminal?

the clamp plate if for the top, you have to fit the clamp, terminal and flaunch it with sand and cement yourself which is easy and will require approx one to two 3/4 buckets of sand and cement. you may require a register plate and adaptor at the bottom of the liner. the stove will probably have a starter pipe as liner can not be left on show outside of the chimney void.

you will likey need the appliances instructions to quote the materials.

Last edited:
I understand you can buy a kit with the liner and accessories but it only has one clamp plate. I realise you have fit the clamp plate at the bottom but how is it secured at the top? and do you leave the top entirely to the roofer? Does he/her fix it, flaunch it and fit the terminal?
the clamp secures it to the top not the bottom,you have to make up the bottom part,the BES catalogue is a good way to get what you need and cheaper than most can you post up the proposed appliance your fitting and what are you doing up top? brick chimney or IL

the clamp secures it to the top not the bottom,you have to make up the bottom part,the BES catalogue is a good way to get what you need and cheaper than most can you post up the proposed appliance your fitting and what are you doing up top? brick chimney or IL

Yes I will post that info when I have been to look. I recognise chimney but IL?

Yes I will post that info when I have been to look. I recognise chimney but IL?
selkirk IL,RIGHTVENT ETC sorry its my terminology if theres no chimney you need a preparatory system through the roof

Liners are really easy to drop without a rope or someone pulling it. Put a slight kick about 6" from the end and drop it. When you hit the bends, spin the liner and it will go past.
Takes 2 minutes to drop if it is raining or 20 minutes if it is a nice day :smile:

It is a brick chimney. Its a grade 2 listed building so the customer asked if the chimney pot can be placed around the terminal after fitting. Is this ok?

thanks all

It is a brick chimney. Its a grade 2 listed building so the customer asked if the chimney pot can be placed around the terminal after fitting. Is this ok?

thanks all
seriously?? around the terminal?? blocking its flow, could you post some piccies up i think you need a fair bit of guidance on this,lots can go wrong on open flue installs post the appliance mi,s up if you can get them and the full flue length etc

seriously?? around the terminal?? blocking its flow, could you post some piccies up i think you need a fair bit of guidance on this,lots can go wrong on open flue installs post the appliance mi,s up if you can get them and the full flue length etc

Yes Gasman I will post pics. I share your concern but is it really a case of blocking the flow? The pot is 170mm and still open at the top isn't it? I'm always open to guidence.

Yes Gasman I will post pics. I share your concern but is it really a case of blocking the flow? The pot is 170mm and still open at the top isn't it? I'm always open to guidence.
are you talking about putting the pot around the terminal?or the terminal on top of the pot? if its around that appliance will cause a fatality think about what your asking

are you talking about putting the pot around the terminal?or the terminal on top of the pot? if its around that appliance will cause a fatality think about what your asking

I'm asking because I have no experience of chimneys or terminals apart from flue flow and visual inspections from about 9 metres away. I want to learn and do the job properly using the knowledge of our wonderful resourceful members. That's why we are here, to learn.

you need to use one of the terminal/pot connectors like tamz has linked. the terminal requires a good air flow across/around it so cant be covered over by a pot.

i know on solid fuel installs you can get a connector to fit a standard open pot, but you cant fit a terminal on a solid fuel liner only a bird cage. wether it can be fitted to a gas liner tho i dont know but i thin you need a terminal?

Last edited:
If you put a chimney can over a GC1 it would seriously effect the flue flow.
Terminals are designed to allow full airflow all around. Would you fit a bucket with a hole in it over a fanned flue terminal?

and with the name backboiler........ never fitting a liner before?? :)

that was my thought as soon as i read it
backboiler if your going within 6 foot of the liner wear thick gloves or you'll cut your hands to ribbons
to attach the rope we used to punch a hole min 6 inches from the end
How to fit a flue liner - YouTube
obviously filmed before the days of h and s

Last edited:
that guy in the video has some balls! how can you do that without a hi viz?? :)

thanks all

You can terminate the GC1 terminal at the top of the pot but not inside it? See alternative approved terminals tamz has posted! If that's what you're getting at Backboiler :)

I thought this boy had balls up there in the snow ........until i saw the bit at the end which i deducted a mark for. Overall a 9/10 :smile:

[video=youtube;nkfXykuFvDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkfXykuFvDw&feature=related[/video]

I thought this boy had balls up there in the snow ........until i saw the bit at the end which i deducted a mark for. Overall a 9/10 :smile:

That brings back memories :) Easy install though, 9/10 you're swinging the copex around the aerials :)

i agree with desrob, call in someone to help you/keep you right on the job, sharing the cash is better than sharing a prison cell

Remember to ask if he has had chimney swept ! had this years back customer told us it had been done, OK down go's liner! loud shout ! customer running out of house follow'd by black cloud, Think it took him a week to clear up soot.

and dont push it down next doors chimney by mistake :)

Oh Dear
Reminds me of pulling the liner out of a BBU many years ago.
Unfortunately the flat was part of a house and the tugged liner was for the other flat.
Soot everywhere, it took two days to clean the place.
The tenants were pragmatic but I couldn't have felt more embarrassed, especially as they were so good about it.
Thank goodness for Interflora!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexible flue liner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, Just a quick one, ive recently been asked to fit a new fire in a property, there was one in previously but was removed simply...
Replies
Views
I am seeking some advice on how to seal up my sump pit. I currently get condensation on the walls and floor around the pit, and in the past there...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
V
Good morning, I thought I would try here first before going elsewhere. in short I had a septic system flexible coupling needing replacing. Backed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock