Search the forum,

Discuss Fire cement recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried most, is there anything out there that's just a little more elastic and can handle thermal expansion.

So is that one . But u do get higher .

Solid flue of multifuel stove.

You think HT silicone would survive(Optimum op temp 150 - 250 deg C)?

Gives me an idea though, use a mix HT silicone with fire cement.

Last edited:
Solid flue of multifuel stove.

You think HT silicone would survive(Optimum op temp 150 - 250 deg C)?

Gives me an idea though, use a mix HT silicone with fire cement.

stick with the fire cement, been fine for the last 50 years or so.

No don't use heat resist silicone. I find it won't even last on standard efficiency oil boiler flues near the boiler- it just falls to bits eventually.
There are better quality fire cements, but not sure what they are. Most seem to crack eventually. It might be possible to add fine mica well mixed into the fire cement.
It is just one of those things to be redone every year or two on the wider joints, like at top of stove. Give the area a soak with water before you apply the fire cement, as that makes it last longer.

Last edited:
Have you tried ready made stuff from screwfix. Cheap as chips. Easy to apply. Never had a problem with it but i havent managed to raise the temp of the houses ive worked in to 300 degrees yet [emoji12]

Thanks for replies.

Yes usually use that and leave to dry for a week before lighting anything.

This stove flue is rear entry (rather than straight out the top) so I have more joints than usual and as Best says it's something I usually have to redo every couple of years or so because it always cracks eventually but I'd rather not.

Might try adding some lime to the fire cement, it may have the same effect as it does to cement render.

Thanks for replies.

Yes usually use that and leave to dry for a week before lighting anything.

This stove flue is rear entry (rather than straight out the top) so I have more joints than usual and as Best says it's something I usually have to redo every couple of years or so because it always cracks eventually but I'd rather not.

Might try adding some lime to the fire cement, it may have the same effect as it does to cement render.

lime and sand gives a soft porous mortar, not what you want with a flue joint really, dont think the manufacturers would support you when the lounge contents dont wake up!

Vitcas range. I used outdoor oven cement which was left over. Didnt swell, crack and good to 1250c I think. Ready mix powder so mix as you need it, no more gone off pots of fire cement in van. I'm going to try others in range to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fire cement recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock