Search the forum,

Discuss Finding a leak on water mains in garden in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Been phoned by a building company we work for. The customer definitely has a leak on the supply pipe (somewhere between the water mains and the internal stopcock). Are there any tools we can hire/use to help us pinpoint the exact location at all?? I assume not as the pipe will be buried fairly deep in the ground!

Yeah, the fountain tends to give it away, but it never leaks where it emerges and usually involves a couple of excavations. Or that could just be my luck!

Hi all,

Been phoned by a building company we work for. The customer definitely has a leak on the supply pipe (somewhere between the water mains and the internal stopcock). Are there any tools we can hire/use to help us pinpoint the exact location at all?? I assume not as the pipe will be buried fairly deep in the ground!

just thinking about it, the builder is one step ahead of you, he has already hired a tool to look for the leak :)

Thermal image might give u a little indication although won't be use if pipe is 500 - 600 mm deep.

just thinking about it, the builder is one step ahead of you, he has already hired a tool to look for the leak :)

PMSL lame , very quick on the draw lol

Listening stalk

Bit of 12mm rod with point on one end and a solid seel cone 75mm dia. Steel cone amplifies noise or devining rods

Last edited by a moderator:
Dousing rods , ive used 2 pieces of 10mm earth cable they work a treat,

Thanks all. The job is 100 miles away so me going to look at it isn't really an option. I'm trying to guide him on how to proceed so we can then go out and repair/replace as required. There's no obvious signs of water leaking in the garden so it's draining down into the soil.

Very witty lame, thanks a lot!!

Have had a look at hiring an acoustic leak detector like the ones they use on water mains. I think that is probably the best course of action to be honest.

Local water board may have a free service. For instance Welsh Water will repair one leak every three years on a home owners property.
Downside of this is that you wouldn't make any money out of this.

Thanks all. The job is 100 miles away so me going to look at it isn't really an option. I'm trying to guide him on how to proceed so we can then go out and repair/replace as required. There's no obvious signs of water leaking in the garden so it's draining down into the soil.

Very witty lame, thanks a lot!!

Have had a look at hiring an acoustic leak detector like the ones they use on water mains. I think that is probably the best course of action to be honest.

if its that far away, you wont make on a job like that, I'd look at a roll of mdpe and get the builder to dig a trench to pop it in and replace the lot. no call backs with that. As for the witty bits, my pleasure :)

As Lame said, You can get tools as ermintrude says but still very difficult. water board have loads and still struggle. You get down, find leak and turns out to be lead or copper, so might as well replace anyway!! cheaper, quicker and better result to lay new pipe.
If custard then their insurance will come and find leak but not fix and water board may even fix for free (as long as you are willing to wait!!)

I've had a quick look into that before. How easy is it to do and where can I hire the equipment from please? Buying it will cost a lot more than I will make on the job I think!

a fun day out is to hire a mini digger, but do miss the gas electrics and drains.

Can't legally hire mini diggers as he's not got cpcs!

Mole is easy. I would sub in bloke myself As it's simpler. But a plant or speedy hire them. Hole at each change of direction and obviously one at start and end. U can I believe feed a cabe down old water main and "guide" the mole by pulling it along the old pipe.

Well I've been illegally hiring them for a while then lol. Damn there is so much red tape and H&S related bull**** out there I wonder how we find any time to injure/kill ourselves tbh. The builder does groundworks himself though so it's unlikely I would need to hire in a digger or do any digging. I think he will probably dig a trench as it will be cheap for him, his digger and 1 day of pay for a driver.

Last edited:
Cpcs is CSCS for plant operators. Been a requirement for about 15 years now. You employ someone even a subby, they kill or cause injury and you didn't check competent guess who's in the slurry?

Well it's me who drives the mini diggers if we use them. If I kill someone with a mini-digger, call me old fashioned, I would fully expect to be in the slurry anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Finding a leak on water mains in garden in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
I have a seemingly impossible problem. I am not a plumber but I can at least understand some of it. We have just had the Water Board inspector here and even he went away flummoxed. OK ....we have a stopcock under the sink that is stuck open - no amount of force will turn it. We need to turn...
Replies
Views
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains pressure from small hole/crack The outside of pipe (measured with veneer caliper) at 23.5mm Pipe Runs under drive, along side of property and looks to go...
Replies
Views
L
We're in the process of doing grounds work for a new garden office, and unfortunately my go-to plumber is away and uncontactable at present. We need to lay a MDPE pipe for a cold water (only) supply for a WC and basin, as well as a second pipe to bring a bore hole feed up to a higher level in...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock