Discuss Finding a leak on water mains in garden in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Been phoned by a building company we work for. The customer definitely has a leak on the supply pipe (somewhere between the water mains and the internal stopcock). Are there any tools we can hire/use to help us pinpoint the exact location at all?? I assume not as the pipe will be buried fairly deep in the ground!

Yeah, the fountain tends to give it away, but it never leaks where it emerges and usually involves a couple of excavations. Or that could just be my luck!

Hi all,

Been phoned by a building company we work for. The customer definitely has a leak on the supply pipe (somewhere between the water mains and the internal stopcock). Are there any tools we can hire/use to help us pinpoint the exact location at all?? I assume not as the pipe will be buried fairly deep in the ground!

just thinking about it, the builder is one step ahead of you, he has already hired a tool to look for the leak :)

Thermal image might give u a little indication although won't be use if pipe is 500 - 600 mm deep.

just thinking about it, the builder is one step ahead of you, he has already hired a tool to look for the leak :)

PMSL lame , very quick on the draw lol

Listening stalk

Bit of 12mm rod with point on one end and a solid seel cone 75mm dia. Steel cone amplifies noise or devining rods

Last edited by a moderator:
Dousing rods , ive used 2 pieces of 10mm earth cable they work a treat,

Thanks all. The job is 100 miles away so me going to look at it isn't really an option. I'm trying to guide him on how to proceed so we can then go out and repair/replace as required. There's no obvious signs of water leaking in the garden so it's draining down into the soil.

Very witty lame, thanks a lot!!

Have had a look at hiring an acoustic leak detector like the ones they use on water mains. I think that is probably the best course of action to be honest.

Local water board may have a free service. For instance Welsh Water will repair one leak every three years on a home owners property.
Downside of this is that you wouldn't make any money out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Finding a leak on water mains in garden in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock