Discuss End of life Greenslave - suggestions? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
quibbling about pennies when you going to have to pay out £s to get floor insulation, ufh, windows and walls insulated etc is the least of the issues, plus you still need some sort of backup now.
Good point and part of the reason I exposed my dithering to the masses, was to get clear concise replies <g>.

if you want a clear consise answer you need people on site to suggest ways ahead and quotes, a forum cant really do that for you

Got to start somewhere, and I'd rather debate and become informed here, than with sales people over the phone. I cannot get onsite easily and I've always found professionals happy to chat about their trade. If I can eliminate the craziness from my plan (whatever that turns into) I see that as a good thing.

So, if I install a new replacement oil boiler, is it better to go for a closed system with posh new thermal store plumbed with future changes in mind, or stick with a combi?

If you were to get rid of the combi first and replace it with a condensing heat only boiler with an unvented cylinder, this would be the best system you could have.
The problems you are having with the current one is typical of one that age and indeed combis are more troublesome than ordinary boilers. The trouble with renting the property the tenants tend not to look after the boiler, they just run it until it packs up. I seem to remember seeing a comparison in an oil magazine of all the different options for heating compared to oil and considering the outlay of all the other options I think oil still comes out on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
To give you an example I look after some holiday cottages 3 have combis and 3 have heat only boilers. I have never been to any heat only boiler breakdowns but I have been to lots of breakdowns for the combis, the breakdowns are usually items that have failed that are peculiar to the combis, as you say the problems arrive on changeover, I do call outs at weekends and evenings in these cases if I am available.

Well, thank you all for your input. I'm away now to learn about condensing heat only boilers with an unvented cylinder. Sounds a standard solution which is "always a good thing".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to End of life Greenslave - suggestions? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better...
Replies
Views
I think the last discussion was back in 2021. A few questions to guide any discussion. Which are the cheapest to heat over the year, system or...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock