Discuss Draining rad circuit in reverse maisonette in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like you said best, I've never had a problem emptying a system so I was a bit confused .
I still think I'm missing the problem !
Is it a basement or cellar ?
If it's ground floor, why can't the hose go out the door

Hi Best thanks for that, I need to have another look at it, I've got a feeling that being on a hill the light well which is on the other side of the window has a higher ground level than the level of the rad valve but I could be wrong. There is a drain in the light well which I should be able to push the hose down.

Last Plumber, I am wondering same, but maybe the door is on a higher floor and only windows on ground/basement floor. As long as the hose is at a much lower level then where it is draining, it will keep sucking out all the water, once started

Last edited:
Hi Best thanks for that, I need to have another look at it, I've got a feeling that being on a hill the light well which is on the other side of the window has a higher ground level than the level of the rad valve but I could be wrong. There is a drain in the light well which I should be able to push the hose down.

You definitely need the hose to go to a lower drain point, but you could try using a long or extended hose if it is possible to take the hose even if necessary over a hill until you can drop it to a lower level than the rad valve. Tip for starting a syphon without any effort is fill the hose with water from a main tap and keeping end closed to hold water in the hose, join to drain off and open other end of hose

Because there is no door, entrance is on first floor two bedrooms and a bathroom on ground floor into a light well (which I havnt got access into) there are windows in these ground floor rooms but I'm not sure the external ground level is lower than the rad valve I'd be draining from.

Actually you've just solved it for me best, extra long hose up the stairs through property door down stairs to front door and out into street then down the hill would do it wouldn't it, gonna need a few hoses joined together methinks

Last edited:
Pity if you can't get a lower ground level within a long hose length distance.
I wish I had bought one of the single water pumps that Lidl had in a clearance sale for ÂŁ15 for such an occasion.

Actually you've just solved it for me best, extra long hose up the stairs through property door down stairs to front door and out into street then down the hill would do it wouldn't it, gonna need a few hoses joined together methinks

As long as the hose can't draw air in, you will get it all drained.
Just starting it flowing is the bit to overcome, - that's why I suggested you drain entire system from ground floor so you have plenty head of water above it.
Be careful your hoses and rad valve connections are good and stay with it. Don't want dirty heating water all over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Draining rad circuit in reverse maisonette in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm going to have my bathroom renovated and that includes changing my rusty old rad for a towel rail. I wanna cut down the costs as much as...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct...
Replies
Views
Drain central heating system (water tank in loft) in a two storey house - ground and first floor when is it safe to switch the boiler back on - is...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock