Discuss DIYER Lost all radiators but 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had some success! ! ! ! Following on from my last post, I initially thought of loosening off one end of the flexis, but decided against this. Gently undid the towel warmer lockshield valve nut as if I was taking the valve apart, (not just the valve bit, for balancing) air came out, followed by nice dirty hot smelly water ! ! ! !. Downstairs rads sprung into life !
Towel warmer still cold though.

The hoses came from screwfix. These Flexible Hose 15mm x 15mm 10mm bore 900mm | NoLinkingToThis. Is this and issue ? It wouldn't be impossible to use copper.

probably wont last 1/2 a year before they go if your lucky.

at a guess they have a max temp rating of 65degrees, best to repipe in copper or plastic

jesus, we've went from reusing the old ch heating water to using flexi's on the ch system. you will be lucky if i plumber wants to touch it now, i wouldent.

I have had some success! ! ! ! Following on from my last post, I initially thought of loosening off one end of the flexis, but decided against this. Gently undid the towel warmer lockshield valve nut as if I was taking the valve apart, (not just the valve bit, for balancing) air came out, followed by nice dirty hot smelly water ! ! ! !. Downstairs rads sprung into life !
Towel warmer still cold though.

Hot CLEAN water would be better. Have you had the system properly cleaned within the last few years?

Do the radiators get hot at the bottom?

Before you lash out on more inhibitor, it would be good housekeeping to make sure the system is squeaky clean.

If there's a lot of sludge in the radiators, you can take them off and connect a hose to clean them, or hire a power flush machine for around ÂŁ50.

Everything is working now.
Radiators seem to heat up evenly. But will look into getting it flushed.

It seems madness that if you shouldn't be using Flexi Hoses in central heating systems, that it does not clearly state this

Let me get this straight.....you have used a flexible hose on a central heating system?!!!!!

They are designed to withstand temps up to 65 degrees. Your flexies will become brittle, split and fail, plus any chemistry you have in your system will further degrade the rubber.

No matter how many times, we've advised you about getting a professional in, you seem to want to ignore this advice.....at your own peril be it. You might be tight, but you're not saving money doing this yourself, you've already damaged your heating system by doing this, it's not working right?!

It seems madness that if you shouldn't be using Flexi Hoses in central heating systems, that it does not clearly state this
That's another reason why you shouldn't be messing around with things you know little about. Any professional will tell you to never use a flexible hose on a heating system and not on old hot water supplies where the water can exceed 65 degrees.

Steady on.
If you read the posts earlier you would know that I resolved the initial problem on my own with no help, working logically through the options.
My Central Heating system is all working fine !
Yes I have made a couple of minor errors along the way, but nothing major.
The re-use of the water, maybe stupid, but it had only been in the system a couple of months prior to me cleaning and adding inhibator.
The using of flexis, well as I said it should be made clearer. They state weather they can be used for drinking water or not, so surely, an extra line stating not to be used in CH Systems wouldn't be too much.

And your statement "No matter how many times, we've advised you about getting a professional in" - You advised me once. Somebody else advised to check for an airlock and then call for a professional.

You've done it wrong, you've been told, you choose to ignore. Bye bye.

Hope you're not paying house insurance, cos once those flexis go they'll not pay out.

I am at a loss as to why you two feel the need for these posts.
I am righting my wrongs and I am thankful for the advice. I never said otherwise.

Steady on.
If you read the posts earlier you would know that I resolved the initial problem on my own with no help, working logically through the options.
My Central Heating system is all working fine !
Yes I have made a couple of minor errors along the way, but nothing major.
The re-use of the water, maybe stupid, but it had only been in the system a couple of months prior to me cleaning and adding inhibator.
The using of flexis, well as I said it should be made clearer. They state weather they can be used for drinking water or not, so surely, an extra line stating not to be used in CH Systems wouldn't be too much.

And your statement "No matter how many times, we've advised you about getting a professional in" - You advised me once. Somebody else advised to check for an airlock and then call for a professional.

JG state whether a fitting is suitable or not for central heating systems - they've got a red (hot) / blue (cold) colour code system too.

John Guest Speedfit - The World Leader in Push-fit Fittings, Pipe and Plastic Plumbing Systems - 15 & 22mm White PVC Hoses

Flexible pipes with very hot water are prone to kinking.

If you are going to use a flexi on a cold fitting stick with JG - long unbranded flexis are now available for a couple of pounds, which means they will have been manufactured for a few pence, so little wonder if they are unreliable.

At least you've got the problems sorted and will know what to do next time.

Jim20, please please PLEASE show pictures!!!

I want to see exactly how youve done everything, you've done ALOT wrong where it is and will damage your house such as the flexi's, they will fail and then pull down your ceilings and other issues!

Never have i seen a flexi on a CH i want to see ittttt

... and your wives will leave you, and your camels will go lame ... you have bought a curse upon your house ... please call a plumber asap to exorcise these demons by the use of fire and hot copper !!!

and so it came to pass... to be continued.

get rid of the flexi's and get some copper involved, if your not confedent with using copper then use plastic and some push fit fittings, just make sure you get them in full slip and use inserts. that will be alot better than the flexi's.

Hay guys thanks.
I took heed of the first warning with the Flexi's. I am in the process of soldering copper replacements. It is just a little awkward as I have to get from under the floor, up under the bath and then into the airing cupboard. Hence the initial thought of flexis.

I don't why you all felt I didn't listen. I came to your website for advice, you guys are the professionals

Koogatubac - Its all fine. I have Copper pipe running down the back of the Airing Cupboard, which connects to the radiator. I then have the main radiator flow and return, which I have solderd 'T' connections in. Then copper pipe under the floor to underneath the bath. At this point I had the Flexi's to get me from under the bath, accross and then up into the airing cupboard, to connect to the copper pipe. Thats all.

No we wont ridicule pictures. If your not uploading pics then it just goes to show you dont have pride in your work? We all upload our work pictures. If you put it in your house especially you must be proud?

Upload some pictures plzzzz!! :)

There are certain words that are best avoided on this site, unfortunately you used three of them in one sentence: "DIY ... Flexi ... and Saving money!"

Pity they don't come up in red automatically!

Decanting the system water didn't help either - very original though!

The antidote is: "What you having?"

Anyway, now you've survived your babtism by fire you know what NOT to say! :nono:

Things should get better from now on :yes:

If I was paying ÂŁ15 a bottle (retail) for conditioner and I had to drain down, I would also be tempted to save my conditioned water, then I would carefully filter it and put it back in, cleaner than it came out but still conditioned.

Why not just put it in when youve got it sorted?

I feel sorry for the people that live with you that will have to live through the horror when all of this goes **** up.

I feel sorry for the people that live with you that will have to live through the horror when all of this goes **** up.
Hope he doesn't live in an upstairs flat, with nice downstairs neighbours.

For every tightfisted diy'er out to scrimp on the pennies, another decent tradesman joins the never ending unemployment queue through lack of work.

I find it quite frustrating. How much would we charge someone to put in a towel rail? Half a day labour? So to save himself paying a plumber for half a days work, he's cost himself no end of time posting on a plumbing forum trying to clear up the mess he need not have caused. And in time, only more misery and expense will pour from his decisions.

If I want a new socket in my house, I get an electrician. Why? I've got a good idea how to put a socket in. I pay a guy because he could put a socket in, properly, in his sleep.

If I was paying ÂŁ15 a bottle (retail) for conditioner and I had to drain down, I would also be tempted to save my conditioned water, then I would carefully filter it and put it back in, cleaner than it came out but still conditioned.

This is in no mean a dig at you but is your time worth so little when I do work in my house (Dont do it very often typical tradesman) I would rather get it over and done with so I can get on with what I want to (Drinking beer and kayaking) so ÂŁ15 to save me 1/2-1hour is money well spent.

why does this post have one of the largest topical post counts???????

I think someone who has spun such a long thread and caught so many in his web should be recognised for his hard work, or be called jim spider20.

Becus its hilarious, puttin all his old CH water in, using flexis on CH hahaaa!!
Yes it's hilarious but up to a point. People googling for an answer might pop up on this forum, read this bilge and think we're all a bad joke, especially with the huge amount of replies to it.

I just spotted 25 ltrs of used central heating water on ebay - "Good condition, one careful owner, buyer to collect".

100% positive feedback too!

Think this should be moved to the Arms now, might make us all look a bit silly.

The OP might find these useful - it's a very good price:-

No Nonsense Central Heating Inhibitor & Cleaner 2 x 500ml | NoLinkingToThis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIYER Lost all radiators but 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Could someone help with a issue I have been having with my vertical radiator. I have one vertical radiator in my bungalow and it does not...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
Hi to all, I have bought a new radiator as replacement for old one. After installation by plumber, the new radiator is heating up only to 1/3...
Replies
Views
Back