Currently reading:
Deposits???

Discuss Deposits??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya all...Just a quick question..

Does anyone take a deposit when booking a job .?

Basicially ,I quoted on a bathroom suite refit & full retile about 6 wks ago,cust got back a week later and said yes to the quote.Booked it in for 1st week in July...Rang cust this week to clarify job and she said that the Boiler job she was having done had cost more than expected, so she had to say no to bathroom (could be true or had got a cheaper quote).No call from them to tell me so could of turned up to do job in July and found out they didnt want it.

So just wondered if anyone took a deposit to guarentee the customer the date set,and if they then cancel it at least youve got something to compensate you(ie ,im looking for work now for that week)..

No I don't think you could get off with that although some may do I dont know,

I just keep some money behind me (easier said than done) Then not stressing if someone cancels

I have it in the terms of my quote that a charge may be levied for cancelling a job at late notice. I also tend to take a deposit, of around 5%...finally if it's a lot of work, I get them to sign an order with the terms in large print.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It happens to us all at some point though. Hence why I'm so careful these days.

I have it in the terms of my quote that a charge may be levied for cancelling a job at late notice. I also tend to take a deposit, of around 5%...finally if it's a lot of work, I get them to sign an order with the terms in large print.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It happens to us all at some point though. Hence why I'm so careful these days.

Did think of changing terms on quote form.

I know this happens from time to time,but when uve just started and you get jobs,its a good feeling.Think the main thing was that they hadnt bothered ringing me to tell me,and speaking to her on the phone it didnt soun d as if she was gonna ring me.

Ah well, we live and learn....

they dont give a monkeys that you may have shelled out for mateials
the public moan about prices but treat the trader with contempt

your terms are they your own or a proper contract,if the latter can you tell me were you got them cheers bob

your terms are they your own or a proper contract,if the latter can you tell me were you got them cheers bob

My terms are my own...though I do have a proper contract for substantial works...send me your email and I'll forward it on to you.

i do for spares and bigger jobs if there not happy tough,if there like this now what will they be like paying,but you get a feel for what people are like got a guy doing this now i faulted a combi i said pcb or gas valve knowing its a pcb both parts are dear so told him i will order both and fit whatever s faulty told him this as i dont trust him he gets bg in they say dont know whats wrong dont keep bits for it etc i found out about it he is now paying a deposit after coming back to me the git

If I do any work for anyone To supply and fit for a total of say £1000 and materials cost £600 within that £1000.

(I'm playin with no.s here)

I ask for the material money upfront with labour cost to be paid on completion, if they pay upfront for materials then u can be pretty sure they'll pay u. No chance I pay for material out my own pocket, u can bet ur bottom dollar if u paid for them they'll cancel, can u really see them cancel if they've paid for the materials?

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur material money upfront labour after satisfied with job i dont mind workin for free it happens just not prepared to lose time and money if not give them list of wot u need and they can buy it themselves...at least that way u know they are serious too many timewasters out there to be caught out...

All I really do is heating installs and I ask for 40% of the total cost of the job upfront. This effectively pays for the materials but my T&C's state that it does not - this shows ownership in the event of bankruptcy. I also state that jobs cancelled with greater than 7 days notice receive all the deposit back and inside 7 days, I keep 40% of the 40%.

Never had a problem, but lost one job 'cos the customer did not agree to all of the T&C's - don't know which one(s) as I wasn't going to change them for anyone.

It makes me sick really....I did a job a couple of months ago. It was for an old friend who emmigrated and now rents out his old place back here.

It took me ages to get the £300 from him he owed me.

So he emails me again, asking me to do more work...much more. I quote, it comes in at £5000. He agrees to this and say's 'when can we start?'

I say, 'when I get your deposit money.'

It was another 3 weeks, and I get an email today saying he's been to the bank and they've not agreed to lend him the money. He's now going to try his parents.

So in short, had I done the work immediatley, as he wanted. I'd now be chasing my money from someone who lives in America. Not helpful, and it won't stop Plumbase knocking on my door for their money. The work would be done, and I'd be waiting for my money for heaven knows how long.

I hate messers. I wouldn't put my van in for a service and then try and wrangle out of paying. Cowboy plumbers! Ha, cowboy clients don't get put on Watchdog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Deposits??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back