Discuss Cross threading nylon thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob150811

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
while cutting the end of a ball valve i woundered if anyone on here had a great way of fixing cross threaded threads

i use a male iron and wind it on a bit then off then on a bit more then off takes a while but gets there in the end use the same on brass and iron too.

Cut off the damaged section of threaded tail and use a female coupling instead.

Like this:Female Coupler 15mm x ½" | NoLinkingToThis
Also available in chrome.
Female Coupler.jpg

Different to this situation but can still cause similar problems..

Another tip, I find it easier on CC WC cisterns to couple an isolation nut on to the inlet valve before the cistern is secured and in a fixed position then you can gauge when the nut is niping up into an akward position or if its niped up square to the inlet for a good seal.

if its a pushfit JG iso valve or a regular valve and the water to the house will be isolated for other reasons i find it easier to leave the isolation valve tight on the cistern and the pushfit/compression nut loosed off the pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was installing a shower this morning and teed off the rising main in the attic. Was going to run it in a plastic coil, down from the attic, then through a cavity wall to the bathroom ,when I noticed shredded material under the tank, a tell tale sign of mice, so it was done in copper as I don't like taking chances with plastic and pesky wee mice.

Try PTFE to pack it out. Or if it is a toilet inlet cut it off square and file it flush and it will be good as new. And if your joining on with. Flexi you won't have to do any pipe work adjustment.!

Throw the valve away & fit a Fluidmaster Pro or other valve with brass tail.

If it cross threads its out with the grinder and straighten it off.

If you have to cut the tail of a ball valve leave the jamb nut on when you cut it then wind the nut back and forth over the cut edge. That will line the threads up.
To join back on to it without faffing about wasting time getting a flat edge, leave a jamb nut on it and use a female adaptor and seal it with the jamb nut like a long screw.

Yes, Female adaptor and Jamb nut, that's what I do, doesn't leak, or if it's a chrome Female Adaptor, wind some PTFE round the threads of the ball valve and it will seal no problem.

If you have to cut the tail of a ball valve leave the jamb nut on when you cut it then wind the nut back and forth over the cut edge. That will line the threads up.
To join back on to it without faffing about wasting time getting a flat edge, leave a jamb nut on it and use a female adaptor and seal it with the jamb nut like a long screw.

sounds good. no idea what you're talking about but sounds good.

ah hold on. is the jamb nut the ball-valve nut on the outside of the cistern?
Yes, but use an extra jamb nut/back nut on top of the female adaptor to seal it.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT, Wall = Back nut. Sorry pal, doing quotes and my brain is fried.

This is a long screw joint
long screw.jpg

The thread to the left is a parallel thread, around 2" long. The thread on the right is a standard taper. They are used to insert a piece of iron pipe or tee into a section instead of using split unions.
To make the joint you wind the jamb nut and union fully on to the long thread. Insert your piece of pipe the exact length so the threads but up (or near enough) with the ends taped or pasted. Wind the union off the long thread onto the short one and tighten it. Tape or hemp and paste behind the union (like a washer) and tighten the jamb nut fully against it.

Same principle with a cut ballcock thread. Wind on a jamb nut, and female adaptor, tape around the top of the female and tighten the jamb nut down on it.
It won't leak.

Very artistic Tam, you been on a fast track design course? :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cross threading nylon thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
The inside brass threads in my Moen rough in two handle Roman tub valve (Moen | Bathroom & Kitchen Faucets, Shower Heads, Accessories & More -...
Replies
Views
Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Looking for some advice. My mother recently had her boiler changed but in the process the water had to be turned on and off as you would...
Replies
Views
Hi I've seen a previous thread that is closed now regarding this subject but the end result I could not see. Our Shower runs hot for 30 seconds...
Replies
Views
Hi I have installed my concealed shower valve and fitted wall panels, I'm soon ready to put shower fittings through the panels and screw them into...
Replies
Views
Back