Discuss connecting copper to galvanized incoming main? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hey chaps, i am having difficulty trying to connect into a couple of nipples on some old iron pipe. Its not the main actually , but the hot. I have bought all the sizes of brass from toolstation, and none of them seem to fit.

Are there like old imperial sizes of iron?

I am lost as to where to get fittings for this.

Cheers.

Cut back the pipe and thread with BSPT then use a standard DZR connector

Does anyone have that Toolstation threading kit at £35 or whatever?

Sounds a bit cheap to be any good? I'm sure someone was on about it the other week, can't remember if they rated it or not.

At £35 I doubt its any good. I have the Presto Minor set and that set me back about £300

The toolstation one is not very good!! I got one and ripped the 1/2" jaw appart on a bit of galv!! they were happy enough to replace. have used a couple of time but am very concious that it is not the strong and only cut 1 or 2 threads at a time and undo and re thread!! got me out of a hole though!!!

thats the problem, i cannot cut the pipe back any further. It goes into the concrete floor.

You could try a GF compression fitting they go on just about anything, used a couple to repair and old main in the ground, didn't want to start threading it as it was rather old manky bit of pipe and though that if I started with the threader we'ed end up digging up the whole garden, went from 1/2" galve to 20mm mdpe. BES have them something like universal couplings?

Does anyone have that Toolstation threading kit at £35 or whatever?

Sounds a bit cheap to be any good? I'm sure someone was on about it the other week, can't remember if they rated it or not.
I have one, its not too good. Used to do pipe fitting, had a good one and a bench machine. If you only need from time to time to get you out of a situation then its all you need. Only used mine twice in 3 years.

As ADM360 says a universal coupling, a bit bulky but goes on to any pipe.

nice one, thanks guys. I shall go with the universal. Would not mind getting more iron work actually, it is good fun. Have only done it on a few gas installs.

I think the way the copper is getting nicked from the out side of houses live, i might start getting into doing it in Iron barrel

Try Philmac Universal Transition Couplings. Never had any problem with them with pressures upto 7bar water mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to connecting copper to galvanized incoming main? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock