Search the forum,

Discuss compressed air lines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_mc

can i use MDPE or hep on a compressed air line.
Have priced to use galvo steel pipe and was wondering is there any cheaper and quicker options

have looked at same quick push fit air line stuff but very expensive for fittings, hep and mdpe fittings are cheaper but dont know if they are up for the job

any experiences and answers would be great guys thanks

i doubt it but check with the manufacturers direct - thats your best bet or failing that john guest do air line fittings not sure on prioces though

Last edited:
i was told the proper airline plastic is different to water stuff in that it doesnt shatter when it explodes evidently exploding hep is like a grenade going of not sure if its the pipe or the fittings as ive seen it pumped up to huge preasures cant see why there cant be a saftey blow of fitted

i looked up the john guest stuff there and its quite expensive.
as any one installed any other materials for doing an air line and any idea of expense

Only use the correct pipe and fittings for compressed air, I believe BSS do a range of the correct spec

You should only use the correct materials for air lines. Compressed air has much more stored energy than water and it can be released instantly,which can cause dangerous situations. Even air testing pipework for water services is potentially dangerous if a fitting fails.

You might be able to cut costs by using cheaper materials but if something goes wrong at any time in the future you would be held responsible.Not worth the risk imho.

only ever used galv steel, in industrial installations the pipework is more prone to damage, chemicals, accidents etc. fitted a few in garages long time ago, insurance company (it had to be certified as safe) insisted on galv steel. plastic push-fit for water uses the water pressure to 'seal' the o ring so could fail if just air.

Compressed air is potentially more dangerous than gas do'not I repeat do'not use fittings or pipe or fittings that are not specified for ca as compressed air behaves in a completely different way to water or natural gas -cheers

just finished the job there now.
used galv steel pipe.
used 2" galvo as there was 10 drops in 1/2" so sized it up.
couple of drains, all drops looped from the top of the pipe and valved on each drop.
used ptfe gas tape

works brillant and is safe as chips.

i always wanted to use galv as its the best job fella just wanted to safe a few pound. as someone says you have to use galv for insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to compressed air lines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock