Search the forum,

Discuss Complete novice needing urgentish advice. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey all

I know this kind of post has probs bin posted before, but I am at my wits end. My landlord is abroad, and with Covid I'm trying to sort out something before the expense of a plumber.

So I am hoping someone will be kind enough to give me some advice.

Basically my kitchen sink has been blocked, water not going down. So I tried plunger, One Shot type liquid, even bicarbonate of soda with vinegar. No luck.

And here is where my problems really began.

You probably know where I'm going but I googled it, found lots of sites saying 'before you use a plumber...'
All advising me to unscrew the u bend, (sorry if my terminology is wrong) clean out any sludge, screw it all back in. I did all of that.

The problem is, that when I put it all back together, and turn tap on, the pipe which is supposed to fit snugly onto the pipe which carries the water out, no longer fits snuggly, and so water gushes out of there.

There was no leaking prior to me undoing it all. This, logically tells me that I am not pushing the pipe into the main one properly, or I'm missing a vital component (ie upon taking it apart I've lost something)

Its not that it doesn't fit at all, its just when I push it to fit, it fits but sort of hangs,unlike say the other bits that have a tight washer

I have attached a photo of the pipe which carries the water out,and the end of the u bend pipe which no longer slots in so that it's watertight.

I am just wondering if I am missing something fundamental, or I could buy a fitting to make it fit tighter. I've bought heavy duty gaffer tape.

Any help is much appreciated. I have a bucket so its not like I can't use the sink at all.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_172514.jpg
    IMG_20200417_172514.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200417_171237956.jpg
    IMG_20200417_171237956.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200417_172514.jpg
    IMG_20200417_172514.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 6

Reply to Complete novice needing urgentish advice. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock