Discuss Combi conversion, is it right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be asking what they meant by a conversion pack.

You believed someone would come and fit a boiler for free and didn't realise the plumber's wages came out of the mark-up made on the boiler, yet you claim to be some form of solicitor. You are also missing the costs of parts, filters, controls, water treatment, etc., none of which are given to plumbers for free. This is getting weird. I'm also out on this part of the question.

What IS a good question is who would be best to get a report from. Not sure if Building Control would be a good start or what they might be willing/able to do at this stage?

Seriously though, I expect every plumber in the world will say they would have done it differently, however well or badly the work was done.

I'm in no way a lawyer. I just work for a small business in a bad industry and have ended up doing a lot of bog standard claims over the years. Going to court on a small claim isn't an issue for me. I know that may seem arrogant, but it is part of my job and is kind of second nature to me. I actually fix circuit boards and printers most of the time.

In 2018, claiming free fitting, then charging for a conversion pack that doesn't really exist is completely prohibited behaviour when dealing with consumers. I was just hoping the work was also prohibited by some obscure regulation. I will call building control on Monday, I think you are right suggesting them. They may refer to gas safe who sign it off by proxy for them maybe?

Thanks for the help.

You could discuss the length of dead leg from combi to hot tap and the time it takes for a tap to run hot (Water Regulations), but, as I said, was it reasonable to expect an adaptation to comply when quite possibly the original system did not comply either.

Your Water Board (i.e. whatever bloodsucking private company gets to make a profit from a basic human need in your area) might inspect and comment, as they do have a duty to ensure the public water is not wasted, misused, unduly consumed, contaminated, or erroneously metered.

In 2018, claiming free fitting (. . .) is completely prohibited behaviour when dealing with consumers.
I just don't get why you chose that firm then instead of reporting to the ASA and moving swiftly on?

I don't think it's arrogant. As you say, it's what you're used to doing. I probably could have done your job; it wasn't a career path I chose. You could probably do mine if your health permitted; you chose something else. No offence taken.

I just don't get why you chose that firm then instead of reporting to the ASA and moving swiftly on?

Because I was having a tumour removed my colon 2 days later, I had a baby at home and my water was brown and hot water was leaking to my garden and I just needed a boiler there and then and they were there. It was a decision brought about by urgency. It appeals to vulnerable consumers. For that day I was desperate and just went with the offer I saw.

You could discuss the length of dead leg from combi to hot tap and the time it takes for a tap to run hot (Water Regulations), but, as I said, was it reasonable to expect an adaptation to comply when quite possibly the original system did not comply either.

Your Water Board (i.e. whatever bloodsucking private company gets to make a profit from a basic human need in your area) might inspect and comment, as they do have a duty to ensure the public water is not wasted, misused, unduly consumed, contaminated, or erroneously metered.

The distance from the boiler to the bathroom tap is around 3 feet. The water goes all the way around the house. probably 35 metres at least? Takes a minute to come out hot at a good flow. What is the name of the regulation and what does it mean to an idiot like me. Sorry i really don't know much about these things. Thank you so much for the advice.

EDIT: Do you mean this law? The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999

2) No water fitting shall be installed, connected, arranged or used in such a manner that it causes or is likely to cause–

(i)waste, misuse, undue consumption or contamination of water supplied by a water undertaker;

Last edited:
You’re going to really struggle to prove or disprove anything. It will all come down to contract. You will hide behind your dissatisfaction they will hide behind the vagueness of the quote if nothing was formally agreed. I would just move on I for one would not be changing pipework after a year if the system has been working for that period

I think we all agree your system could have been fitted to a higher standard but as i have said it's been fitted a year and it works all be it inefficiently, my advice you could try and make a claim against the company(trading standards route ) but why cause yourself more stress and worry after what you have been through, better to learn from your misfortune and employ a local respected gas safe company to improve what you have, reading between the lines you panicked when your system went down a combi was not the right choice but it got you through the bad situation at the time take some professional advice and it's then your choice which way you go. Regards kop

The problem I see. Is that you accepted a price. The amount of work is irrelevant.
Two restaurants can charge differing amounts for the same meal.

The problem I see. Is that you accepted a price. The amount of work is irrelevant.
Two restaurants can charge differing amounts for the same meal.

Because of the provisions of the 2015 CRA and the 2008 Consumer Protection from unfair Trading Regulations that isn't true, especially when they made claims that are patently likely to be misleading. Businesses are very limited in what they can say to consumers now and standards and prices are regulated in a way by those acts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi conversion, is it right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock