Discuss Combi conversion, is it right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year, having got a split coil in my loft based hot water tank, and with an operation planned 3 days later, I decided to use one of the large online firms to put a combi in the next day. They charged £2800 for the boiler, with "free fitting" but as I was going for a conversion from a system to a combi they charged £700 for a "conversion pack". They also supplied a magnet filter and a wireless "smart" thermostat.

While I feel the boiler is great, I really don't understand what the conversion in the loft involved other than a bit of pipework and removing the hot water cylinder and the cold water tank. They simply did what looks like rough pipework in the loft to join the gaps left by removing the tanks. The only insulation they put on the pipes is lagging that was already in there on the pipes around the tanks. Because they have just joined the pipes up in the loft, it seems to me to be quite wasteful and means that the water to the taps has to go all the way from the boiler, through the house, into the loft and back into the house, taking around 30 seconds to a minute to get hot water in the bathroom (less than 3 foot from the boiler).

My question is, is the price I paid fair or too high, and would you expect them to do more for the pipework during a conversion. It really seems like a waste to have the water go all round the house for a 3 foot trip to the tap?

i also feel that charging £700 for a conversion that involved a lad in the loft for 2 hours and a bit of pipes seems too much, when my mum had hers done by a local fitter all the pipes were altered, it took 3 days and it seems a much better job. My job took 2 lads less than 4 hours.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

You waited a bit long to question it since you had the work done last year ???

Also nothing's free there would be the installation in that 2.8k

What boiler did you get / have

Last year, having got a split coil in my loft based hot water tank, and with an operation planned 3 days later, I decided to use one of the large online firms to put a combi in the next day. They charged £2800 for the boiler, with "free fitting" but as I was going for a conversion from a system to a combi they charged £700 for a "conversion pack". They also supplied a magnet filter and a wireless "smart" thermostat.

While I feel the boiler is great, I really don't understand what the conversion in the loft involved other than a bit of pipework and removing the hot water cylinder and the cold water tank. They simply did what looks like rough pipework in the loft to join the gaps left by removing the tanks. The only insulation they put on the pipes is lagging that was already in there on the pipes around the tanks. Because they have just joined the pipes up in the loft, it seems to me to be quite wasteful and means that the water to the taps has to go all the way from the boiler, through the house, into the loft and back into the house, taking around 30 seconds to a minute to get hot water in the bathroom (less than 3 foot from the boiler).

My question is, is the price I paid fair or too high, and would you expect them to do more for the pipework during a conversion. It really seems like a waste to have the water go all round the house for a 3 foot trip to the tap?

i also feel that charging £700 for a conversion that involved a lad in the loft for 2 hours and a bit of pipes seems too much, when my mum had hers done by a local fitter all the pipes were altered, it took 3 days and it seems a much better job. My job took 2 lads less than 4 hours.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
It sounds to me you know the answer already if your not out of time legally and paid by credit card then have a go

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
It sounds to me you know the answer already if your not out of time legally and paid by credit card then have a go
My gut tells me it was too much and a ropey conversion, but I have know idea if I am correct or not. Is there anything you could add, do the building regs or gas rules say anything that would help me? Any advice or opinions would really help me. Thanks :)

Bit late now I am afraid it all works you paid in full far as they are concerned your satisfied , time and time again I have been behind the big boys and cringe at what I see. Kop

Bit late now I am afraid it all works you paid in full far as they are concerned your satisfied , time and time again I have been behind the big boys and cringe at what I see. Kop
I paid with a credit card and am happy to sue the card and boiler company if I have to. By joining the pipes together in the loft and doing nothing much more have they broken any rules are regulations, or is it just something you'd consider "shoddy"?

My gut tells me it was too much and a ropey conversion, but I have know idea if I am correct or not. Is there anything you could add, do the building regs or gas rules say anything that would help me? Any advice or opinions would really help me. Thanks :)
Look my mrs is a barrister and we see too many people go by that have maybe been wronged and loose months and even years trying to get back I would just leave it and walk on even we do when we are best placed to destroy an errant small business life is sometimes too short IMHO

Look my mrs is a barrister and we see too many people go by that have maybe been wronged and loose months and even years trying to get back I would just leave it and walk on even we do when we are best placed to destroy an errant small business life is sometimes too short IMHO

I actually sue people as part of my work and as it is less than £10k it is a small claim meaning no costs other than the court fee. It wouldn't cost me a wink of sleep to deal with this, as it is my bread and butter.

I guess, i'm just curious as to if they have done anything technically wrong rules wise?

It saves time the installation team will have had a set amount of time to install the system they are pushed to the limit so obviously corners will be cut, broken any rules hmmmm hard to prove if you feel hard done by complain but make sure you list the points your not happy about and why you feel it's below standard. Good luck kop

It saves time the installation team will have had a set amount of time to install the system they are pushed to the limit so obviously corners will be cut, broken any rules hmmmm hard to prove if you feel hard done by complain but make sure you list the points your not happy about and why you feel it's below standard. Good luck kop

Thanks for the reply. At a rough guess, what would you expect the "fair" labour charge to be for a job at such a low standard. The boiler wholesales at £1200 and the add ons probably cost £200 in all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi conversion, is it right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock