Search the forum,

Discuss Centarl heating is now on but less hot water for Baths & Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Langers

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and I'm after a bit of advice even if the below does sound like a silly question. :)

I have conventional boiler system,hot water tank in airing cupboard and cold tanks in loft etc (Glow Worm boiler which is about 13 years old) and i've recently had to put the CH on.Now when i run a bath or a shower their isn't the same amount of hot water that i had when the CH was off. I usually start to heat the hot water up at 4pm for 2 - 2.5 hours via a timer and when the family arrive home the heating goes on at about 5pm. Once the kids have had a bath (6.30), the hot water for a shower is tepid (8pm), whereby in the summer (central heating off) there is plenty of hot water for baths and showers.

Could it be boiler capacity? (not too sure of how powerful it is) Or something else. The central heating comes on fine and the house is nice and warm but its the amount of hot water for baths & shwoers is the concern.

Any questions or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Langers

Hello, thanks for the reply - I have a Gravity system (Tanks in Loft) but a pump attached for the bath and shower (next to hot water tank)

Gravity hot water will be slow when heating is on, pump pulling heated water away from tank, better to keep hot water on permanent now you are using heating, or get system converted to fully pumped, have you just moved into this house ?

Yes, recently moved in. Even though the hot water tank is on same level as bathroom (2nd floor, not in loft) will this make a difference?

If i keep hot water on permanently, won't that send my gas bill through the roof?

Thanks again for the reply.

Langers

Last edited by a moderator:
cylinder position doesnt matter the pressure of your water is dependent on the height of the feed tank you may find you need to run the boiler at a higher temperature in winter and with gravity it will need to be on longer best to get the water on for 1 hour before the heating kicks in just realise tank is level with bathroom so low pressure and no standing showers
assuming its a one bathroom house the obvious upgrade would be a combination boiler

Last edited:
Boiler temperature should be about 80C. I expect when the heating pump is running it's reducing flow through the cylinder but in most of those old systems they usually had an injector tee on the return so the pump would draw water through the cylinder and improve the warmup time. Perhaps it's been taken out or changed.
Best bet is to convert to fully pumped system.

Where is boiler ? on floor or wall, you can bet as its a gravity system boiler is more than 13 years old, most cost effective method to up-grade your system & speed up hot water heat up times is to get it converted to fully pumped, will need some alterations to pipe work and some new controls, depending on access to pipe work 1 or 2 days should do it, being has you have just moved in, money may not be there for full boiler/system upgrade, but converting to fully pumped will make system more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Centarl heating is now on but less hot water for Baths & Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app 2hrs in morning 2 hrs in evening Any help be much appreciated
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock