Discuss Cast iron question for the mature lot on here. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Sharp Point

Morning all, just a simple question for the forum elders:D

What size cast iron is 95mm OD, would I be correct in thinking 3.5” old school?

Thanks in advance

Test4Less - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
OP
S

Sharp Point

I’d consider you a mature bit of Stilton :)

Reaction score
I’d consider you a mature bit of Stilton :)
I am a bit more Windsor Red actually which IS cheddar and port or red ...mmmm. but a nice ripe Stilton is quite acceptable on our dinning table with some Bath Oliver's
centralheatking

OP
S

Sharp Point

Hi guys, the existing cast iron stack is very very old... maybe centuries old. So could I say that it is probably old 3.5” internal stuff?

Reaction score
Hi guys, the existing cast iron stack is very very old... maybe centuries old. So could I say that it is probably old 3.5” internal stuff?
Ok Bog what are you planning ? is it a listed building ? you will get battered if you biff it down. Sends us a piccy there is look alike 'cast ' plastic stuff. If its internal then cut it off down low..not too low get a ring on it into plastic and OFF you go
your 95mm and 3.5 inch is right BUT if is really old ...more than I am then ...the od tolerances can be a challenge...often a Multi Kwick will get back onto modern stuff, its not nice but works...from
Old Central Heatking ! I will have to tell my new wife oh dear. centralheatking

Reaction score
Have a word with the old Glynwed Foundries mob at Telford. Changed their name a few times, Glynwed, Sinclair, St.Gobain and Hambaker. They were producing imperial size CI from way back in the 50s and up to the 90s you could still get adaptors.

Reaction score
Have a word with the old Glynwed Foundries mob at Telford. Changed their name a few times, Glynwed, Sinclair, St.Gobain and Hambaker. They were producing imperial size CI from way back in the 50s and up to the 90s you could still get adaptors.
Used to be Glynwed Brickhouse
then Saint Gobain etc got involved nice info DM

OP
S

Sharp Point

Guys, the job is getting done correctly. I’m connecting onto a the existing original cast stack. All materials have beeen bought from Hargreaves foundry. We’ve carefully removed a piece from a spigot and renewing from there, to serve a new bathroom. The reason being that we’re connecting to there and not completely replacing from ground level, is that it goes into the street and me/ customer don’t won’t to open a can of worms removing council sandstone slabs on the highway to connect onto the assumed vitreous drains.

And yes it’s a listed building

Reaction score
Guys, the job is getting done correctly. I’m connecting onto a the existing original cast stack. All materials have beeen bought from Hargreaves foundry. We’ve carefully removed a piece from a spigot and renewing from there, to serve a new bathroom. The reason being that we’re connecting to there and not completely replacing from ground level, is that it goes into the street and me/ customer don’t won’t to open a can of worms removing council sandstone slabs on the highway to connect onto the assumed vitreous drains.

And yes it’s a listed building
I would love to see a piccy of the finished job please ...the job sounds ace. A really technical job ..nothing like a job like this to sort the men from the boys. .Rob Foster

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
You looking pan connector end ?

OP
S

Sharp Point

proper caulked joints ...banged down rope with poured lead etc. and wiped ...very rare now
unless its National,Trust,etc.
centralheatking
Well... not the lead. Black ct1 as advised, much safer method.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
OP
S

Sharp Point

Just trying to think why it matters other than pan connector end

Yes should be around 90mm id
I’m trying to ascertain the correct pipe size, so I can purchase the same size

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
I’m trying to ascertain the correct pipe size, so I can purchase the same size
thought you already bought it from Hargreaves foundry

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
OP
S

Sharp Point

I’ve built already, one complete stack in 4” pipe and the materials were from Hargreaves. I’ve got to connect onto an old section( that terminates on the highway) this is why I need to clarify the old pipe size( OD of 115mm approx) to purchase the new materials to connect on to.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
I’ve built already, one complete stack in 4” pipe and the materials were from Hargreaves. I’ve got to connect onto an old section( that terminates on the highway) this is why I need to clarify the old pipe size( OD of 115mm approx) to purchase the new materials to connect on to.
i get you now should be 3.5

timesaver coupling will take up any difference as a back up plan

Reply to Cast iron question for the mature lot on here. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor

Test

Top Bottom