Discuss Can I claim costs on this legally? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's true, you are training the other engineers to do it and I spoke to nu heat and they said they would want to see a finished job before allowing us to be an approved contractor so in a way I think you could argue it is allowed but it could back Fire.

I seem to remember something on the HMRC website about training costs not being tax deductable if the training is to allow you to do something you aren't already doing. So since you say you don't already fit underfloor, they might consider it to be a new business. On the other hand, you won't be able to claim it as a capital gains tax offset when you sell the house if it's a research project, so you might argue that it is a logical step to keep you doing heating work as it becomes more commonplace.

But then is your house's heating a domestic system anymore or does it become a business venture that needs to pay commercial rates ;)

Whatever HMRC tells you, get it in writing. Apparently someone once revamped the kitchen in a rental property with designer kit and sold the place some time after. They didn't claim the full cost when they did the work as it was more an upgrade than routine maintenance, but then when they sold, the taxman said 'that isn't a capital expense: 'one kitchen is much the same as any other'.

As said put the materials down to the business expenditure but you can't bill yourself labour

I've got a rented flat, any work I do on it myself is free labour. Materials for that are allowable.

I seem to remember something on the HMRC website about training costs not being tax deductable if the training is to allow you to do something you aren't already doing. So since you say you don't already fit underfloor, they might consider it to be a new business. On the other hand, you won't be able to claim it as a capital gains tax offset when you sell the house if it's a research project, so you might argue that it is a logical step to keep you doing heating work as it becomes more commonplace.

But then is your house's heating a domestic system anymore or does it become a business venture that needs to pay commercial rates ;)

Whatever HMRC tells you, get it in writing. Apparently someone once revamped the kitchen in a rental property with designer kit and sold the place some time after. They didn't claim the full cost when they did the work as it was more an upgrade than routine maintenance, but then when they sold, the taxman said 'that isn't a capital expense: 'one kitchen is much the same as any other'.

As for training, the accountant I spoke to said some training is allowable

Eg. Gas training for a plumber, unvented etc.

BUT he said if I wanted to learn to fix car engines then it won't be allowed.

I do prop maintenance inc. plumbing in my HMRC tax title so he'd be happy to put through tiling, plastering & that sort of thing

Unfortunately I can't get away with dress making, damn him!

You can now replace wooden Windows to dg units & claim

You never used to be able to do that

If the labours not an allowable business expense then surely the materials won't be allowable?

And are you saying if I change the windows in my house from wooden to modern I can put that through as A business expense? That doesn't sound right.

If the labours not an allowable business expense then surely the materials won't be allowable?

And are you saying if I change the windows in my house from wooden to modern I can put that through as A business expense? That doesn't sound right.

Sorry, I was talking about a rental property regarding Windows

As for materials, you can just buy them through your business. That's ok. Even if it's van stock. Labour, you can't bill yourself & really stuff you do on your own house isn't allowed material wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I claim costs on this legally? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock