Search the forum,

Discuss Boilersuit or work trousers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyplumb

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Tradesmen nowadays seem to favour work trousers rather than a boilersuit. i'am from the old school though, always wear a boilersuit, i reckon it keeps you cleaner, it's warmer in the winter and it looks more professional.
Is it just me, or am i missing out, Are work trousers really better ?

Work trousers and tee,polo or sweat with gas safe logo and name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

work troussers all the way, boiler suit (do have one in the van) just feel a bit too restrictive

Havent worn a boiler suit since i left college 10 years ago, started wearing jeansbut went through to many pairs before i discovered work trousers

Work trousers for me but also keep a boiler suit for going under floors, clearing drains etc

Only wear a boiler suit when working on oil as saves my clothes getting sooted up and you cant see soot on black trousers until you kneel down on somebodys nice cream carpet (I did this once then went and got a boiler suit).

I got work trousers, all my work gear is snickers, I like it. You can get some good deals on snickers stuff if you shop around

I have always worn snickers work trousers and they are very comfortable

I used to work with a joiner who would polish his work boots every morning without fail

I used to work with a joiner who would polish his work boots every morning without fail

To be fair it's probably a good idea, I don't clean mine but I replace them a couple of times a year. I've seen plenty of blokes on merchants wearing scummy old trainers and it looks nasty to be honest

I haven't worn a boiler suit since I was an apprentice. I'd outgrown the boiler suit a bit and squatted down to pick something up, damn near cleaved my giblets in two!

To be fair it's probably a good idea, I don't clean mine but I replace them a couple of times a year. I've seen plenty of blokes on merchants wearing scummy old trainers and it looks nasty to be honest

once you have cut into the end of your trainers and through your sock with a circular saw and just missed your toes you start to wear your boots alot more.

I haven't worn a boiler suit since I was an apprentice. I'd outgrown the boiler suit a bit and squatted down to pick something up, damn near cleaved my giblets in two!

Trousers for me, always, since I got my boilersuit collar caught on a hook (while clambering about an attic) and crushed my gonads trying to get unhooked!

looks like i'm the only one to wear a boilersuit on a daily basis, well never mind, i always like to do things differently. if boilersuits have gone out of fashion, maybe i should stock up before they stop makin them.

It's only when I look at other blokes in the merchant wearing shorts, tattooed legs, covered in filth, football shirt on that I first think 'god I wouldn't want someone turning up to my house looking like that' and second look down at myself and think 'to be honest i could really do with smartening up myself'

I think the polo shirt with logo idea is a good one. It's been on my to-do list for a while. Thing is I'm particular about my clothes and wouldn't want to order anything without trying it on. If it was an odd shape I'd end up not wearing them.

Always work trousers from, with either polo or rugby shirt embroidered with logo.

Hmm!

When I was an apprentice the boss would come and inspect you, making a remark if you were not properly and tidily dressed to work in peoples houses. The old guys told us of times they where sent home to get a collar and tie on.

On site we usually wore what ever cheap clothes we could get hold of in the Summer. Mostly ex- army and navy store stuff. I often looked like a left over from the 8th Army in North Africa. I must admit the exmilitary stuff then was real good heavy quality stuff as many of the lads had been in the forces because of the call up and war. The call up had just stopped when I was of age so I suppose there was loads of military stuff to be sold off and it was very cheap. Now the same sort of stuff costs a fortune.

I also liked boiler suites but found them very hot in Summer.

It was funny at times, if you hung your jacket up anywhere, you could usually bet somebody would fill the pockets with scrap lead so that when you unhooked it you nearly fell through the floor. The other trick if working in a store, was to put the security tags somewhere in your jacket so that when you went out the alarms rang like mad.

I like the modern trousers with all the pockets but found they tended to pull down if you put to much in the pockets. I did not really like being loaded down with tools hanging out the pockets, they where a nuisance in restricted places and in danger of smashing things by accident if you turned around too quick in a house and a screwdriver or something flew out the pocket.

I suppose the rain was one of the worst problems if on sites. Those cheap wet suites seemed to make you wetter inside through sweat than the rain did
But who wants to pay a couple of hundred for Gor Tex to get it ruined in a day or two?

What do you reckon is good cheap rain wear for the Plumber? Okay! a wet suite on some jobs may be best. I have been on sites where the pipework was so leaky you probably would have been best with one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trousers and polos for gas boiler servicing and smaller plumbing jobs.
Boiler suit for oil servicing,installs and doing steel pipe etc.

Hmm!

When I was an apprentice the boss would come and inspect you, making a remark if you were not properly and tidily dressed to work in peoples houses. The old guys told us of times they where sent home to get a collar and tie on.

On site we usually wore what ever cheap clothes we could get hold of in the Summer. Mostly ex- army and navy store stuff. I often looked like a left over from the 8th Army in North Africa. I must admit the exmilitary stuff then was real good heavy quality stuff as many of the lads had been in the forces because of the call up and war. The call up had just stopped when I was of age so I suppose there was loads of military stuff to be sold off and it was very cheap. Now the same sort of stuff costs a fortune.

I also liked boiler suites but found them very hot in Summer.

It was funny at times, if you hung your jacket up anywhere, you could usually bet somebody would fill the pockets with scrap lead so that when you unhooked it you nearly fell through the floor. The other trick if working in a store, was to put the security tags somewhere in your jacket so that when you went out the alarms rang like mad.

I like the modern trousers with all the pockets but found they tended to pull down if you put to much in the pockets. I did not really like being loaded down with tools hanging out the pockets, they where a nuisance in restricted places and in danger of smashing things by accident if you turned around too quick in a house and a screwdriver or something flew out the pocket.

I suppose the rain was one of the worst problems if on sites. Those cheap wet suites seemed to make you wetter inside through sweat than the rain did
But who wants to pay a couple of hundred for Gor Tex to get it ruined in a day or two?

What do you reckon is good cheap rain wear for the Plumber? Okay! a wet suite on some jobs may be best. I have been on sites where the pipework was so leaky you probably would have been best with one.[/QUOTE]

Birthday suit I reckon. Doesn't cost much and isn't half waterproof.. Not sure if I would wear it to a job though :)

snickers warehouse is just down the road from me so get there gear , do have a suit in van but havent worn for a few year

I keep disposable coveralls in the land rover for when I need to get down and dirty.

I keep disposable coveralls in the land rover for when I need to get down and dirty.

Me too. Under £2 a set from tool station.

I wear trousers. Though this last couple of weeks, my belly has started to creep over the edge of them. So I may go to boiler suits eventually!! :)

I wear a brand called Fristad. In my opinion they're more comfortable than snickers.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd spend £50 on a pair of work trousers. I remember someone on here was paying about £85 a pair for theirs, and they had about 6 pairs. Mental!

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd spend £50 on a pair of work trousers. I remember someone on here was paying about £85 a pair for theirs, and they had about 6 pairs. Mental!

Whats a couple of pair of £85 work trousers when were on £60k plus :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boilersuit or work trousers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock