Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler switching off - cross leak?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Since October last year we have had a problem where the boiler goes to red light (turns off) whilst trying to heat the house. The problem was very intermittent from once a week to now at least once a day if not more. It also seems to go to red light when running the taps, for example whilst taking a shower it starts off fine then the water goes ice cold and have had to turn on the boiler again as its turned off, just this evening, the heating was running fine until I turned on the cold tap in the bathroom to brush my teeth and it turned off the boiler. On occasion we have been completely unable to get any hot water unless we have the heating running at the same time.
We had a gas safe engineer look at the boiler and told us it all looked fine, he then diagnosed that he suspected a cross leak behind the shower which was letting cold water back into the system and shutting off the boiler. I haven't been able to find any information on this online. When we moved into the flat the shower always pretty much had one temperature so a plumber suggested fitting a new temperature valve, in case cold water was flowing back into the system this way. This has been done but has not fixed the problem.

The entire flat is underfloor heated, but has anyone heard of a cross leak turning off a boiler? Or has anyone got any idea why this might be happening? Many thanks

You'll be told to register and repost. Was told any 'unregistered' person can post replies to thread and then it can get confusing with who's the original poster. Thought I'd let you know as may save you some time with your replies.

Can you isolate the cold feed to the shower? If you can, do that and see if the problem persists. With a new shower I'd assume it won't make a difference as new shower likely has non return valves fitted

I take it's a combi. What make/model and is there an error code? If there's a 'cross leak' from cold to hot on the shower I'd think it would happen either all the time or just when you used the shower, not when ordinary cold taps are opened. Could it be turning on cold water drops the cold pressure to the boiler and it's going out on low pressure?

Yes it's a Sabre 25 HE combi boiler, there is no fault code that I know of and the pressure gauge stays at around 1.5
really the water turning it off is a secondary issue as the boiler shuts down by itself without any taps being on, so what would that suggest? That there is a constant leak so when the heating is on it is leaking cold water back into the system? The boiler also makes a frantic clicking noise like its struggling to keep the pilot light on. This morning alone it has gone to red light 5 times whilst the heating has been running without any taps on. We also didn't have any hot water for 2 1/2 hours this morning even with the heating on.
I just want to be sure it's definitely a leak before the landlord rips out the entire shower to get to the pipes.

Just had a look through the users instructions and it only mentions a lockout for the red LED. When was it last serviced? If it's started getting worse could be either something external (low gas pressure or a number of things) or possibly something inside the boiler starting to give up the ghost. The clicking would indicate flame failure and attempting to relight so looking at the gas supply might be in order (thinks: more probable as the boiler would be drawing most gas on combi function and less if modulating down on heating.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler switching off - cross leak?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock