Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler randomly firing up in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, sorry but im after a bit of advice.

I have a problem where my boiler randomly fires up 2/3/4 times a day when there is no call for heat or hot water.

My setup:
Unvented system
Ideal HE 18 boiler ( installed around 2013)
Tribune HE tank
2 zones (upstairs & downstairs)
Plus hot water
3x Danfoss HPV22
2x Nest Thermostats

The ideal HE18 is set to E - Efficiency/Economy which i think is 68.c
Hot water thermostat on the Tribune HE is set to 60.c
The hot water is set to come on at 6am and 4pm for 30 mins each time.
Heating is set to 19.5c for various times during the day.

When the boiler randomly fires up i check the nest app and according to it both CH & HW are off or in eco mode and not calling for heat.

Now by process of elimination i think its the HW calling for heat.
Turning the thermostat down to below 40.c on the tank forces it into action and the HPA2 whirs a bit then the boiler goes off.
Unplugging the HW Danfoss HPA2/HPV22 has the same result, both can take a few minutes to force the boiler to go off.

The upstairs Danfoss CH HPA2 failed a couple of years ago and was replaced, my first thought was another had failed.
So I swapped the CH & downstairs HPA2's around to see if there was any difference, but the same result the boiler randomly fires up.
I could move the valves with my fingers although they were a little stiff.

The tundish thing seems to be going more often than not.

Any thoughts what the problem could be?

thanks

Mark.
IMG_20220801_120201.jpg
IMG_20220801_120130.jpg
IMG_20220801_120119.jpg

IMG_20220801_120248.jpg

If the tundish is going, and you have Nest’s I believe these have a legionella program, so perhaps it’s this? Eg the cylinder is cooling down and the hot water is dropping in temp
Thanks that definitely seems to be the culprit, ive switched the legionella option off in the menu and it is now acting normally.
I know there is a small risk but i will alter my schedule to accomodate.

thanks

Reply to Boiler randomly firing up in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much easier to use!) This one keeps turning itself off. The hot water seems to work and is always warm. The heating also works but for random amounts of time...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock