Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Prv discharge what is this classed as ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smtplumbing

allright everyone Happy new year.

just a quick question went to do a landload cerf today, New boiler fitted a year ago. The landloard could not get hold of the boy that fitted it. so started my checks,randomly checked the paperwork from last year no gas safe number no address just a name.Checking pipework 15mm gas supply from one sit of the house to the boiler 15 meters long no 22mm at all so under gased, also noticed the boiler discharge is right above the the conservatory which is plastic surely you cant get away with this.

Anyway started doing a let by test and it failed so nothing completed capped gas supplier (after speaking to the landlord) asked about the boiler install and they said the boiler was done by a family friend of a friend of a friend but no details bar his number and his name.

So soone as Transco been out and fixed i going to need to go over the fully boiler install and check and sort could be a nasty present for me tomorrow

Steven

maybe to do with the temperature if the prv was to activate could be too much for plastic pipe according to mi.. at risk of causing damage to property?????

It is classed as not very clever or needs a pipe repositioned or whatever else you like. Not a gas safety classification although big gas would like it to be.
What would you class it if the pipe was connected to nothing or stopped at the floor?

tamz that AR was from experience with bg doing their pre-home care service, AR the customer :)

if it wasnt connected to anything, its possibly at risk to causing damage to property? the heat and water could, if for example, in a flat penetrate below? thats as far as id take it.

if it wasnt connected to anything, its possibly at risk to causing damage to property? the heat and water could, if for example, in a flat penetrate below? thats as far as id take it.

It is classified as you better move your stuff or it will get wet :lol:

As i said, bg would like it to be as it suits their paperwork but fortunately for us they don't write the rules. No matter what they class it as it is not a gas safety classification. Helps scare the pensioners and get the salesman in tho.

Just note it down as unsuitable prv termination. There seems enough other stuff wrong with the boys boiler to fill a book anyway.

About 25 years ago when sealed systems were first being fitted, bg recommendation if the boiler was in the middle of the house (still a lot of open flue boiler fitted at that time) was for the prv discharge pipe was to drop it to the floor. They changed their tune on that after a couple of years when the claims came in.

Solar prvs terminate into a plastic bucket (usually the empty glycol bottle) and they have potentially much higher temperatures and risk.

Very true tamz I do some solar and have saw them blow off in to container at very high temp just deformed the container a bit nothing to bad

allright everyone Happy new year.

just a quick question went to do a landload cerf today, New boiler fitted a year ago. The landloard could not get hold of the boy that fitted it. so started my checks,randomly checked the paperwork from last year no gas safe number no address just a name.Checking pipework 15mm gas supply from one sit of the house to the boiler 15 meters long no 22mm at all so under gased, also noticed the boiler discharge is right above the the conservatory which is plastic surely you cant get away with this.

Anyway started doing a let by test and it failed so nothing completed capped gas supplier (after speaking to the landlord) asked about the boiler install and they said the boiler was done by a family friend of a friend of a friend but no details bar his number and his name.

So soone as Transco been out and fixed i going to need to go over the fully boiler install and check and sort could be a nasty present for me tomorrow

Steven

dont look at this as a nasty present, look at it as next months mortgage being covered, it looks as if the guy whoo fitted it isnt GSR so you have a duty to ensure it is left safely, so you check EVERYTHING, and if that includes the boiler fixings by removing the boiler then so be it, it is difficult when called to a job yo know whether a gas guy did the job or not, but if you are sure he isnt then you should not commission the job for him as this is illegal, if you are not sure then the risk management decision is yours so how deep you check the job is your choice but remember it will be the one thing you dont check that goes wrong and will get you nailed, it is the DUTY of every registered person to try to nail every unregistered person by checking to a level that makes it ineffective for landlords to get the work done by unregistered then get us to do a LGSC to legitimise it, obviuosly we get caught out as they are sneaky but when you know it is illegal you must ensure it is done properly, which if you choose includes visually inspecting EVERYTHING, to save the landlord money ask him for the name and number of the guy who fitted it, because if he is GSR you dont need to do as much work, your excuse to see if he is forthcoming with the details, check him out and if registered then simply do what is needed you dont have a legal duty to check everything 100% completely, as he is expected to do it right, and you only need to repair what you see

Last edited by a moderator:
dont look at this as a nasty present, look at it as next months mortgage being covered, it looks as if the guy whoo fitted it isnt GSR so you have a duty to ensure it is left safely, so you check EVERYTHING, and if that includes the boiler fixings by removing the boiler then so be it, it is difficult when called to a job yo know whether a gas guy did the job or not, but if you are sure he isnt then you should not commission the job for him as this is illegal, if you are not sure then the risk management decision is yours so how deep you check the job is your choice but remember it will be the one thing you dont check that goes wrong and will get you nailed, it is the DUTY of every registered person to try to nail every unregistered person by checking to a level that makes it ineffective for landlords to get the work done by unregistered then get us to do a LGSC to legitimise it, obviuosly we get caught out as they are sneaky but when you know it is illegal you must ensure it is done properly, which if you choose includes visually inspecting EVERYTHING, to save the landlord money ask him for the name and number of the guy who fitted it, because if he is GSR you dont need to do as much work, your excuse to see if he is forthcoming with the details, check him out and if registered then simply do what is needed you dont have a legal duty to check everything 100% completely, as he is expected to do it right, and you only need to repair what you see

I think this is the longest sentence I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Prv discharge what is this classed as ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the boiler has started to stay on all the time. My usual engineer took a look at it and advised me to contact the manufacturer. I then had an engineer from...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock