Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler position in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nysk2008

I'm hoping that some of you can help. Now can anyone let me know what the situation is with a new boiler install over a sink? I appreciate there may be issues regarding steam from hot water tap affecting boiler components but are there any regs / MI's that prohibit this kind of install or is it just good practice to install over the drainer etc where possible if required in that location.

Cheers

Cant have a fixed electrical appliance within 600mm of a water outlet or wet area

I believe that is what is says in the electrical regs

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant have a fixed electrical appliance within 600mm of a water outlet or wet area

---

is that a new reg re 600mm within a sink? as i had it clarified before that there wasnt a requirement for this as we used to see sockets above sinks all the time

---

so a boilers an electrical appliance and not gas then?.
do we have to be 17ed to work on it, can a sparky take off the gas valve, can a gas fitter take off the pcb?, who's regs are to be followed?
and a macerator works with hamsters.lol.
see what you mean but common sense and bad choices prevail. if it is the only place a combi can be installed then in it goes.
you cant tell the customer 'no, you cant have central heating as there is no where to install it'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you want to get really technical over it. Any electirical appliance wired in the kitchen should be done by a part p Reg installer

And yes technically a electrician can do some work on a boiler as they may be deemed competent to do so

And the appliance is an electrical appliance so we cannot just ignore or disregard the regs

Why do we cross bond. There's nothing in the GAS regs about it. This is totally a electrical Reg.

---

do you have to be part p to put a plug top from the boiler in to the socket and why dont you need part p to fiddle with the components?.

---
Unless it has changed recently, the recommendation was 300mm to the boilers electrical connection from sink or draining board.

Well if you want to get really technical over it. Any electirical appliance wired in the kitchen should be done by a part p Reg installer

And yes technically a electrician can do some work on a boiler as they may be deemed competent to do so

And the appliance is an electrical appliance so we cannot just ignore or disregard the regs

Why do we cross bond. There's nothing in the GAS regs about it. This is totally a electrical Reg.

---
A Gas Engineer is deemed competent to connect a gas appliance to a spur and wire up zone valves etc.
Technically anyone can work on a boiler if they can prove competence to do so. Not only sparks.
I believe it states in the British Standards somewhere that the boiler must be fitted to such and such an electrical standard, so this is where the cross bonding comes from although it is no longer required with the modern electrics. Only seperate bonding of the gas pipe is still a requirement which is in the regs.

it would probably be best to take advise from the boiler manufacture when unsure about these things. Most modern boilers have good electrical insulation to outside of the case unlike some of the tat made years ago with uninsulated connections hanging about.

I'd never put a boiler over a sink for two main reasons:

1. Although unlikely, I wouldn't like to be washing up when the boiler exploded in my face.
2. I wouldn't enjoy the maintenance and drop something down the plug 'ole.

Perhaps it's not clear in the instructions as some common sense is required?

Only thong I would fit over a sink is a single point water heater

---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler position in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I would like some guidance regarding the Worcester CDi 29 Classic boiler. According to the manual it has a holiday mode and frost protection mode for when away for a period of time such as a holiday, both of which disables the central heating system and both require it to be set manually. I have...
Replies
Views
I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse and has been working without issue until now. The pilot light went out and now wont relight. It lights but as soon as you release the button it goes...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock