Search the forum,

Discuss boiler Pilot light keeps going out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldieone

I've just had my hot water tank which is driven by an old Ideal RE80N boiler in a Y system replaced by a plumber. I now have a problem that when I run the boiler after about 3 mins running with the rads getting hot the boiler closes down and even the pilot light goes out because the button you hold down to start it clicks up.

Any ideas?

Oldieone

I've just had my hot water tank which is driven by an old Ideal RE80N boiler in a Y system replaced by a plumber. I now have a problem that when I run the boiler after about 3 mins running with the rads getting hot the boiler closes down and even the pilot light goes out because the button you hold down to start it clicks up.

Any ideas?

Oldieone

Have you asked your plumber to investigate, he may have made a mistake.

mountainman;524163]Have you asked your plumber to investigate, he may have made a mistake.

As he charged me £745 just to change the Tank I hoped I would be able to check before getting him as my pension isn't that high.

Are the pipes from the boiler to the cylinder getting hot at the cylinder?

What exactly did you have done? Was it a like for like cylinder change? Or is there more to it than that?

SimonG;524165]Are the pipes from the boiler to the cylinder getting hot at the cylinder?

Hi Simon both get hot. The feed a lot more than the return. I thought it may be air but I have bled everything I can find. The return now has a Magnaclean Pro canister on and it the gets warm also.

mountainman;524163]Have you asked your plumber to investigate, he may have made a mistake.

As he charged me £745 just to change the Tank I hoped I would be able to check before getting him as my pension isn't that high.
im in london and thats still a great price

APPlumbing;524166]What exactly did you have done? Was it a like for like cylinder change? Or is there more to it than that?

He put in a new hot water tank but had to put new pipes in as the old ones wouldn't fit the new tank. He fitted a new ball in the F&E tank as the old one wasn't cutting the water off and he fitted the Magnaclean unit and put in inhibitor. Of course her fully drained the system before he started and filled it up with all radiators open at the end but said he couldn't run it because the 3 port switch wasn't operating but that wasn't covered under changing the tank and would cost another £450.

£450 to change a 3 port did I read that right?

Yes because he says he uses the best 4073 and cheap ones are rubbish. £250 is the removal and fitting cost the other £200 parts.

Post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Yes because he says he uses the best 4073 and cheap ones are rubbish. £250 is the removal and fitting cost the other £200 parts.

He's mugging you off old son.

Go with Croppies suggestion, I would be ashamed charging someone £250 for a couple of hours max work.
And a Honeywell V4073 valve is expensive but not that expensive.

We're not that kind of forum.

We're the nice, shiny teethed ones who love most of our custards.

Some of us don't even dribble!

Croppie will attend in his chopper in any location in the Northern Hemisphere within one hour to sort out your problem at these prices - or we will get the lear jet out .......centralheatking
He's mugging you off old son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much info, the thought of Croppies Chopper is too much to bear:eek:

Croppie will attend in his chopper in any location in the Northern Hemisphere within one hour to sort out your problem at these prices - or we will get the lear jet out .......centralheatking

And still do it for less than 450 shekels!

I dribble - esp when I am half asleep dreaming about 3/4 inch male iron to female fittings screw threads
..centralheatking QUOTE=croppie;524212]We're not that kind of forum.

We're the nice, shiny teethed ones who love most of our custards.

Some of us don't even dribble![/QUOTE]

sounds like a circulaton issue with the boiler, especially if the 3 way valve dont work proper. I would take the advise given by others and get somebody else in.

I don't normally comment on prices charged as not having been face to face with a job it can be very difficult to judge, BUT £450 to change a 3 port valve. Holey moley.

Did he wear a mask, was called Dick and arrived on Black Bess?

This must be one of those Millionaire plumbers we here about £450 to replace a 3 port valve, Please note the valve is only a gold colour not made of gold !

And the fact that it might not need one! Not sure of the boiler specifics, but it sounds like the boilers cutting out on over heat caused by poor circulation. Air in other words.

Hi oldieone - as you will read below a considerable number of us have commented on you post
one of the best ways to help us in the future is to feed back - did you get a solution with our help ?
or what have you done since ? centralheatkingQUOTE=oldieone;524153]I've just had my hot water tank which is driven by an old Ideal RE80N boiler in a Y system replaced by a plumber. I now have a problem that when I run the boiler after about 3 mins running with the rads getting hot the boiler closes down and even the pilot light goes out because the button you hold down to start it clicks up.

Any ideas?

Oldieone[/QUOTE]

Thank you everyone you are all very kind giving your time to advise.
This all started because the system upstairs had a leak and I had to get someone in to fix it. He changed the hot water tank as it had a leak in the inner coil. I didn't run it then but he said that it looked like I needed a 3 port valve therefore another quote. I couldn't proceed because the damage caused by the leak to the ceilings had to be repaired and because the ceilings were 1980 they had asbestos so had to be ripped out. They are back today for 2 days to finish the ceilings ans wallpaper (they are really nice people) and then I should be able to address the central heating.

However I did try to see what happened when I put the central heating on for a test and the F&E tank (I hope that's right) filled up with black water which went out of the overflow. The Boiler an Ideal RE80 (very old like me) ran for about 3 mins then tripped out (the grey button popped up) and the pilot light went out. I tried bleeding all the radiators but they seem ok as water comes out.

Where the man changed the tank it looks a nice job so I can't blame him. I expect at 73 there's no fool like an old fool. Maybe I should drain and refill the system then if that doesn't work find a plumber on here it's just I worry on the cost as the insurance had a £700 excess and the tank £750 and that would be £450 for the 3 port valve and I hear now I might need a new boiler at £3500 and on a pension I will soon run out. Sorry.

You are getting some good quotes ! £450. for a 3 port valve, £3500 for a boiler change, and you have just replaced the cylinder, what people are you dealing with ?? What area are you in I'm sure that one of the engineers on here would only be to happy to have a chat with you & point out your best options.

You are getting some good quotes ! £450. for a 3 port valve, £3500 for a boiler change, and you have just replaced the cylinder, what people are you dealing with ?? What area are you in I'm sure that one of the engineers on here would only be to happy to have a chat with you & point out your best options.

Swindon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler Pilot light keeps going out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock