Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler manufacturers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I don't get the ideology of boiler manufacturers we always get pushed to install the latest models or bump into reps who try to persuade us to install that brand .
But then they still make parts on boilers that are over 15 years old and still chug along .

Anyone know what the logic is on this when they are always harping on about getting customers to update boilers.

Profit and market share.
That 15 year old boiler may be made by another. My 2c.

As above just marketing ... it's just money making that's all it is

Probably the parts are the biggest profit for the manufacturer over the life of a lot of boilers.

Probably the parts are the biggest profit for the manufacturer over the life of a lot of boilers.

That can back fire big style though if they develop a reputation for being unreliable.

Spare parts is where the boiler manufactures make their money and also the heating spares merchants.

I have, in the past, ordered a new boiler to strip parts out of to replace parts in existing boilers due to it being cheaper than buying spare parts for individual boilers.

Spare parts is where the boiler manufactures make their money and also the heating spares merchants.

I have, in the past, ordered a new boiler to strip parts out of to replace parts in existing boilers due to it being cheaper than buying spare parts for individual boilers.

I hate reps, they're always trying to sell you something.

I don't get the ideology of boiler manufacturers we always get pushed to install the latest models or bump into reps who try to persuade us to install that brand .
But then they still make parts on boilers that are over 15 years old and still chug along .

Anyone know what the logic is on this when they are always harping on about getting customers to update boilers.

They have to carry spares for a period (I can't recall whether its 15 or 20 years) in order to sell them. If they didn't, British Gas would stop servicing them, people like me would stop stocking them, and people like you would stop fitting them.

And in all boiler manufacturers, there will be the sales director, whose target is to sell new appliances, and the service or Ops director, whose target is to make money out of service and spares.

Sales of spares is an important revenue earner for manufacturers, but is absolutely chicken-feed compared to the sale of flue kits and controls. Their mark-up on those ancillary items that they buy in from 3rd parties is absolutely unbelievable.

The other issue for them is output mix. The difference in cost to produce a 40kw boiler compared to a 12kw boiler is about ÂŁ20. The difference in re-sale price is often many ÂŁhundreds.

They have to carry spares for a period (I can't recall whether its 15 or 20 years) in order to sell them. If they didn't, British Gas would stop servicing them, people like me would stop stocking them, and people like you would stop fitting them.

And in all boiler manufacturers, there will be the sales director, whose target is to sell new appliances, and the service or Ops director, whose target is to make money out of service and spares.

Sales of spares is an important revenue earner for manufacturers, but is absolutely chicken-feed compared to the sale of flue kits and controls. Their mark-up on those ancillary items that they buy in from 3rd parties is absolutely unbelievable.

The other issue for them is output mix. The difference in cost to produce a 40kw boiler compared to a 12kw boiler is about ÂŁ20. The difference in re-sale price is often many ÂŁhundreds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler manufacturers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator pipes during the strip out. Not the end of the world as damages happens. I am responsible builder and paying my bills and to repair the damages if...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock