Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked Manhole in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hilti72

Hello,

I've had a problem with blocked drains, I opened the manhole tonight to discover a build up of waste. Can I get some advice on how to deal with this myself.

Thanks.

Couple of throw away all-in-ones and something long and strong enough to mash it all up.
Depending on how strong your stomach is - dust mask/goggles or full face breathing mask.
Once sorted have a couple of showers then a soak in a bath with anti-bacterial soap, even then you're likely to be ill or at least sick.
Enjoy :ack2:

Hire a pump capable of taking solids and pump the lot out. After this rod it and clean it out with pine disinfectant and very hot water.

Thanks for the reply, I really don't know if I have the stomach for it. Think I might leave it to the professionals. I don't fancy the sickness that would bring!:behead:

I once read that the AIDS virus can live for 3 weeks in a sewer.
GOD alone knows what else is down there!
If someone says £50 to clear it,take their hand off!

I think the main issue with sewers is hepatitis. If I can't clear a blocked sewer with a plunger on a rod in ten minutes I call in the guys with the machine. I know from experience that you can spend hours with a full set of rods down the drain and never get it cleared properly.

The worst ones are when it's backed up a soil pipe into a block of flats etc. Yeras ago we used to do maintenance for the Burton Group. We got called out to a blocked downpipe on our local Debenhams. There was a box gutter half way down the front of the building which was over spilling we tried to clear it from the top but failed. The down pipes ran down inside a boxing and re appeared in the basement. We went into the basement and carefully unscrewed the rodding eye which was about 6 foot above floor level. Foolishly we then decided to try rodding from the bottom. As I pushed the rods up I felt a point of resistance and gave it a good knock with the rods. There was a loud rumble from the pipe and, realising we had no hope of getting the cover back on, my colleague and I turned and ran. We hadn't made it to the door when the thick black filthy water got to the rodding eye. The two of us looked like something from a comedy show. The front of us was clean and the back was smothered in black gunge.

We had to send someone out to the van to get our boiler suits so that we could change out of our clothes. Luckily the area we were in was an unused maintenance workshop. Some of the basement areas were used to store racks of clothing. It still took us hours to clean the place up though.

£84, professional outfit coming to sort it out. Worth every penny!:rockon:

There wasa plumber killed a few years ago local to us. He was in a manhole rodding some sort of drain and he drowned.

The stories just keep getting worse & worse! Just out watching the lads working, christ thats grim! :censored:

Ninnies!!! We often played bat a falling turd in a high discharge manhole. In high rise commercial buildings with all the bogs blocked up we played last one out the manhole got covered.
It's true though, you usually got a dose of something "orrible" after each job. It was everyday stuff in some repair companies.
I was a horror when younger working on housing sites. The lads would use the toilets in the houses that had been second fixed and the pans would be full of stuff weeks old and boy did it stink. If the water was turned on. I would watch and wait for the brickies to go down the manholes to point up the benching and then run around and flush as many pans as I could. If you think cheetahs can run fast you ain't seen a brickie move. Must admit though you had to be as fast yourself because if they caught you, you could get a thump at least. All good unclean fun!!!:laugh3:

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be some big thing stuck in the drain which is the reason of blockage. This big thing can be any waste or any dead animal which is stopping the water flow.

One of the worst obstructions is a paint can lid. It drives you mad, plunge it and the drain goes then blocks up again. We usually used either a plunger, wheel, drop scraper or worm depending on what the problem was. About 96% of jobs could be cleared with drain rods. The problem with dyno rod is that some of their machines where so fierce they went through the side of the drains. You can get longer stiffer rods if your having trouble, but usually providing you give the rods a bit of clockwise twisting to stop them coming apart normal drains rods seem to do most jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never failed to unblock a sewer with my trusty rods, most of the time In a domestic setting introducing a jetter which shifts 100litres of water a minute will cause more damage then taking your time. I have never been ill I use overalls gloves and am very careful. Trick is to take your time, make sure you under stand where the drains run and make above ground where your rods will reach.

Thanks for the help all, but I got someone in to do it, it was beyond my abilities all help aside. Once again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked Manhole in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock