Discuss Bit of snow = No school but WHY? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keefy

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Why can't schools handle a bit of snow? What's the underlying problem here? Is it always because the heating isn't working properly and if so then why aren't they snow-proof?

I don't have any kids but if I did I'd be majorly frustrated to get a phone call asking me to come and pick them up because it's snowing.

What's the deal here? I think it's stupid.

health and safety (lol) there scared of been sued

Sued for what though, are they scared the roof might collapse or something?

Wonder if it's mainly down to teachers pretending they can't get to work because they're snowed in or some nonsense?

Last edited:
Probably worried about a snowflake knocking them over in the playground.

It's really angered me for some reason and it doesn't even affect my life. I seriously think this country is backward sometimes.

Its because its the easiest solution for the teachers and school management, and Health and Safety is a convenient bogey to blame it on.

Health and safety may be their reason/excuse but I'm struggling to understand which part of health and safety they fear could be compromised. Some schools near me are saying it's their policy to remain open but can't guarantee they'll stay open. Why?

I'm not asking anyone in particular to answer the 'why?' question by the way, I'm just just having a fight against the world right now. I need to chill out, no pun intended.

Hi,

I'm a school governor and it frustrates me as well. I asked our head and he has to take into account the safety of children parents and staff travelling too and from the school. The biggest worry is children being stranded at the school if parents cannot get back because of the snow. Often he had to guess whether things will get better as the day goes on. It is always a hard call and not one he makes lightly.

Hi,

I'm a school governor and it frustrates me as well. I asked our head and he has to take into account the safety of children parents and staff travelling too and from the school. The biggest worry is children being stranded at the school if parents cannot get back because of the snow. Often he had to guess whether things will get better as the day goes on. It is always a hard call and not one he makes lightly.

Hi Pipedream

Out of interest, does your head also take account of the risks implicit in kids NOT being in school as a consequence of the closure.

For example, kids who are really too young to be left alone at home being there because their parents can't afford the time off work? Or the risk that they will go tobogganing and break something?

I was reading recently about schools in the US who had closed after one of the school shootings, and did not re-open until certain security measures had been installed. This was done in the name of the children's safety.

However, statistically children out of school meet with more accidents and misadventures than they do in the classroom. As a consequence of the "safety-driven" school closures, many children had accidents, and some died, who probably would not have done so had they been in school.

All because of a compartmentalised approach to risk.

After 9/11, people stopped flying, and many drove instead. Because driving is way more risky than flying (even in Sept 2001!), about 1800 more people died on America's roads - the unmentioned casualties of faulty risk assessment.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if a kid is injured or killed when NOT in school then it isn't the schools fault, and if you don't fly and die in a car crash it isn't the aviation authorities fault, the blame/claim culture has removed all common sense,
How many times have you heard someone say " had a bump in the car/van yesterday but not much damage and nobody hurt that's the main thing, for someone to say " what, you aren't claiming whiplash? You get a straight ÂŁ1k if you accept their first offer" they are enticing people to steal, why? " cause everyone is doing it" its all gone to pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bit of snow = No school but WHY? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock