Search the forum,

Discuss Best fix for a pipe repair on a bend? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello!

Only myself to blame, using the jigsaw as I was taking up the bathroom floorboards and the one board I didn't look under ... Had the H&C feed.

If it was on a straight I'd be quite happy to use these copper patch repairs but as the cut is on a bend I'm assuming you don't get an adequate seal.

What is the recommended fix for this? I don't have a pipe bender so from a cost perspective would prefer to avoid removing and replacing but if that's the recommendation I'll have to make the investment.

20210830_153006.jpg
20210830_150513.jpg

You’ll probably have to either get a coupling and bend the pipe, or take the board up further back to try to ascertain what can be done. As a temporary measure (I do you need it) you might be able to use a rubber hose type make up and jubilee clip.

Thanks both.

I'm actually thinking now if a hep2o fix makes the most sense given it's a bend and that lots of the pipework is being changed for hep2o anyway

I think you want to keep everything in copper, soldered joints and minimise their number. If you don't own a pipe bender you can rent one from a tool hire place. If you aren't experienced at soldering, bending pipe, etc. get a plumber to do it for you.

If you finish cutting that pipe where you have and prep the ends you might have enough meat and it is straight enough to solder in a slip coupling. You have two joints there in near vicinity that you could nick a bit of length from if you need it...not what I'd do professionally of course.

Last edited:
That is the route I'm thinking, two elbows and then a straight coupler. One more fitting than trying to bend to replicate but a lot easier for a DIYer. On closer inspection only the 22mm hot has an actual cut. I've nicked the 15mm cold but doesn't look like I need to change it

So I've turn the mains back on, run the taps for a bit... How long do you leave it till you know you've done it right?😂😂😂 In all seriousness, it's incredibly hard to tell if the solder has made a complete seal. I practised a little first but there is definitely a fine margin between right blow torch heat, amount of time to leave the heat on, when and how much solder to apply.
20210902_153924.jpg
20210902_170617.jpg

A bit more practised required but if it holds it holds ;) ...if you apply solder to the back of the fitting you'll know you've applied enough when you see it flow and run around the top of the fitting to the front and complete the join.

Sorry for lack of response, didn't see the notification! Thanks all, certainly I won't be winning any prizes for "best soldered joint" but as you say, for a first stab the most important thing is that it's water tight, which it is. I've also had the hot, hot, hot running through for a while and so far so good.

Reply to Best fix for a pipe repair on a bend? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock