Discuss Best fitting and supplier in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darrena

Hi
I am a keen DIY'er and currently fitting a wetroom in our ensuite.
I need to move all the central heating and hot and cold water supply by about a foot so need to try my skills at pipework, now this is pretty new to me with only haveing soldered a few pipes many years back and most other work recently being the odd compression joint.

My question relates to the best fittings for a novice, I do have a blow torch but wondered if any of the pre soldered joints are any good, if so which suppliers are best, is there any benifits in purchasin in bulk online?

Any help woild be appreciated, all floor boards so i'm ready to get the work done now!

Cheers
Darren

plastic/copper pipe, push fit fittings and compression joints will be the easiest for you, as if you solder a joint wrongly then turn water on and it leaks it is a nightmare to fix with water in the pipe, keep all the hidden pipework plastic and the visual ones copper with compression fittings, maybe even chrome with chrome fittings depends on your choice really if you are going for chrome towel rail with chrome valves then chrome pipe would look the part.

If you know how to solder (cleaning, flux, etc) then yorkshire (pre-soldered) fittings are fine and quite easy - that's how I started anyway! It's as cheap to go to your local plumbing merchant for a few of these things than spend ages looking on the internet and paying postage, etc.

Cheers guys,

How many people use plastic fitting these days I have heard mixed feedback and to be honest would worry about the longevity, is it now standard practice to fit them?

well most new builds are plastic it seems from recent work I've done. Soldering is the best method, but if you choose to use plastic, I would use there push fit fittings rather than compression myself.

Darren to be honest with you Im all for amateurs giving things a go (I make a lot of money from putting things right). However in this case I would whole heartedly advise you against doing a wetroom, I have a good friend of mine who installs wetrooms professionally and his liability insurance is almost as expensive as mine due to the nature of getting a wetroom wrong being extremely easy. If you dont get the tanking right or the former isnt quite level you will quite likely take your entire ceiling with you and in fairness your home insurance might not pay out due to it being a DIY blunder.

By all means have a go at an 800mm quadrant tray but trust me on the wetrooms.

Hi FD Powerflow, I appreciate what you are saying but I do have some experience at hand from my fatheringlaw who did a large wet room about 6 months so an really using his experience. I actually got him coming over Sunday to give me a hand with pipework.
Believe me I have researched the drainage and tanking in much depth and I appreciate the risks of not getting the job right. I am also looking at getting a professional tiler in to do the floor in the wet room and I will probably do the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best fitting and supplier in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock