Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Been asked to convert existing gravity HW to fully pumped system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. Usual thing, existing floor standing gas boiler is pumped for CH and running into a 28mm cylinder coil for DHW.

I am planning on capping off the CH flow and return at the boiler and converting the system into a y-plan fully pumped system.

Question for all. I realise the pipework is in 28mm for decent circulation by gravity. Is there any reason why I can't fit a 22mm y-plan kit then just use a 22/28 reducer after the valve to connect on to the existing 28mm?

I can't see a problem with this but wanted to check with people who have more experience of doing this than I!

That's how I've done them with no problems, just make sure there's no non return valve on it.

Will be fine imho.

might want to put a balancing valve in though?
more experianced guys can confirm this?

Will be fine imho.

might want to put a balancing valve in though?
more experianced guys can confirm this?

Do you mean a gate valve on the cylinder return? If yes it's not a bad idea, it'll help the heating circulation while there's hot water demand.

Jesus man alive . What are you on? Old. 28mm left in? Give your self a shake. That's loot.

I would try and use 22mm and fit s plan . Defo fit gate valve to cylinder. You know any sparkies who could wire s plan?

qe5a2e6a.jpg

Jesus man alive . What are you on? Old. 28mm left in? Give your self a shake. That's loot.

I would try and use 22mm and fit s plan . Defo fit gate valve to cylinder. You know any sparkies who could wire s plan?

I agree but even though the customer is moving in to the place he is doing everything as cheap as possible. Instead of going fully pumped he is now on about fitting a c plan kit..

I have informed him that my labour is the same either way. I know which one I would be fitting.

and no, I don't know any sparky that can wire an s plan sadly :)

I agree but even though the customer is moving in to the place he is doing everything as cheap as possible. Instead of going fully pumped he is now on about fitting a c plan kit..

I have informed him that my labour is the same either way. I know which one I would be fitting.

and no, I don't know any sparky that can wire an s plan sadly :)

Shouldn't be doing this really Croft, doesn't comply with part L.

Good point matey. I didn't think about that tbh. Why are honeywell still selling them then??

Good point matey. I didn't think about that tbh. Why are honeywell still selling them then??

for direct replacement only not for using to convert one to the other as then its a new installation and needs to comply

I don't know any sparky that can wire an s plan sadly :)

S Plan, Y Plan, W Plan, S plan Plus, C Plan, U Plan, c'mon none of them are rocket science, any decent sparx can do those

S Plan, Y Plan, W Plan, S plan Plus, C Plan, U Plan, c'mon none of them are rocket science, any decent sparx can do those

There's many a spark that baulks at the idea of wiring a heating system of any description. One of the lads I use wasn't keen until I spent some time going through how the water side worked, once he understood that then the wiring became easy for him.

Yay I got a bite. I am a spark and I am happy wiring them all in :)

That's an easy one. I'm not a gas safe engineer so I am a sparks first :) I don't do gas :)

I would say I am a plumber first before a spark as that's the trade I started in first!

I would say I am a plumber first before a spark as that's the trade I started in first!

What do you do for the gas then Kieran? I have a gsr engineer that will come in and do all the gas bits for me.

I go from one gsr to the next to be honest. Most I find seem to have a real bee in their bonnet about subcontracting to a non-gsr plumber!

To be honest I keep busy enough doing all the non-gas and electrical work. It would be nice to do the gas work but it's pretty much an closed off market under the current training requirements. But don't get me going on that again, it annoys me so much lol.

I go from one gsr to the next to be honest. Most I find seem to have a real bee in their bonnet about subcontracting to a non-gsr plumber!

To be honest I keep busy enough doing all the non-gas and electrical work. It would be nice to do the gas work but it's pretty much an closed off market under the current training requirements. But don't get me going on that again, it annoys me so much lol.

i might be able to help you there thinking about it.

Hmm yes. We chatted about that before if I remember rightly. I think we suggested a swap of skills both ways round right? The only issue was we were a bit too far apart if I remember right?

I've past so much work to the gas fitter I've used recently and not even had so much as a thanks back to be honest. It's frustrating me rather a lot.

I guess it helps that we rarely do new installations, it's always a retrofit and so first thing is working out what the *** is going on - Took 20 mins to find the pump on an existing rayburn install (biomass upgrade..) the other day - even the owner couldn't remember -- found it in the back of the corner cupboard, looking at those valves, guess he's going to need a new kitchen as well by the time we've managed to isolate it all ...... Becasue of the capital cost of our installations, we then end up having to sort out all the existing hot water and heating zoning issues, so we've seen pretty much everything so far..
Aparrently they had considered that corner of the cupboard 'dead space' so they put the pumps in etc before they fitted the cabinets mmmm....

1-IMG_4275.jpg

Hmm yes. We chatted about that before if I remember rightly. I think we suggested a swap of skills both ways round right? The only issue was we were a bit too far apart if I remember right?

Yup and im getting busier so i dont want to take my foot off the pedel now.

i do however have a friend who qualified for his gas but lost his job, didn't have the balls to go SE.
so he works in a nightclub and he hates his life!!!

I'd put money on him willing to do near anything to get back on the tools

Does he live anywhere near Lincoln?

I've past so much work to the gas fitter I've used recently and not even had so much as a thanks back to be honest. It's frustrating me rather a lot.

He passes on any oil he comes across. He def gets more work than me, but thats the way the cookie crumbles. I often think about doing the gas, but I do plenty already.

Is that an earth wear pot or the head of a very old copper cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Been asked to convert existing gravity HW to fully pumped system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
AFAIK the boiler is set to fully pumped. (The switch inside is on fully pumped), however the pump is only running while the boiler burner is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock