Discuss Bathroom Extractor Fan Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darrena

Hi,

Refitting our ensuite and wondered if there are any regulations that mean you have to have an extractor fan in the room
The room does have an opening window!

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Darren

Part F of the building regulations (Ventilation) specifies bathrooms should have an intermittent extraction rate of 15l/s and a continuous extraction rate of 8l/s. In practise as long as the window is open your bathroom will comply with this as the hot air will tend to flow towards the cold air outside thus balancing out.

No requirement for an extractor fan as long as you have a window or other means of producing ventilation although it is nice to have!

PS this is only a requirement under building regulations if it is a new-build property or if you are converting an existing bedroom to a bathroom. If the room was already a bathroom/en-suite then there is no requirement. This said, the building regulations information should still be viewed as good sensible advice.

Last edited:
my bathroom has an openable window but could still probably do with some ventilation, even though i open the window when having a shower still get a build up of water vapour and mould occurs in certain areas...no condensation though as my WC is off the cistern not mains. Just can't be bothered fitting the vent though ! :p you may consider to fit a vent if there are problems like condensation and mould.

Thanks for the response.

We do already have one in place but we are replacing the ceiling and didnt want to fit one unless completely necessary, we have never used the one we have except went have selected the vent switch instead of the light switch by accident!

If you are redoing your own bathroom ,would highly recommend you fit an extractor fan,even with humidity setting
If will keep the bathroom in nice condition for a long time,I do like on a separate switch but when showering and after a good night down the indian,will be worth its weight in gold

imho

I recommend they're fitted when customer has a shower in the room and my sparky often links them up with the shower pull string so they can be used manually instead of having the fan on every time the lights are turned on (can't have a peaceful bath with a thundering motor imo).

We have just had council out to sign off en suit that was built 8 years ago and he wouldn't as there was no fan but there is a windows in there? I don't understand?

We have just had council out to sign off en suit that was built 8 years ago and he wouldn't as there was no fan but there is a windows in there? I don't understand?

winter time what happens to the window gets closed

Please register with us to receive additional answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Fan Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock