Search the forum,

Discuss Banging pipes when not drawing water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I have banging water pipe when I am not drawing any water please can any one help as it’s driving me nuts
Thanks steve

Hi I have banging water pipe when I am not drawing any water please can any one help as it’s driving me nuts
Thanks steve
Check whether any tanks (toilets, cold water storage) have float valves that are leaking and juddering.

Have a close look at your water meter when it is happening. If it is indicating water is being consumed then the problem is on your side of the meter. If it is rock steady, the problem may be originating in a neighbour's property and you're hearing their banging being transmitted as hydraulic pulses along the pipes.

Check whether any tanks (toilets, cold water storage) have float valves that are leaking and juddering.

Have a close look at your water meter when it is happening. If it is indicating water is being consumed then the problem is on your side of the meter. If it is rock steady, the problem may be originating in a neighbour's property and you're hearing their banging being transmitted as hydraulic pulses along the pipes.
Thanks I don’t have a meter so cant check it that way

I've solved this for a few customers by fitting a shock arrestor, which is essentially a tiny expansion vessel fitted on the cold supply pipe work. I think the problem occurs on smaller systems where water hammer can not be taken up in the volume of the pipe work. Sometimes due to a non return valve on the mains stop tap or water meter.

Reply to Banging pipes when not drawing water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hello, purchased a house in February this year and for a few weeks, noticed a loud banging noise which sounds like it is coming from under my sink, but happens when no water is running. I think it could be when my neighbour is either running water or maybe using a washing machine. House is an...
Replies
Views
L
I have noticed water sitting on top of the cylinder, appears to be coming up through the insulation and out where the draw off pipe is. We have checked and the draw off but doesn’t appear to be the issue! Any ideas?
Replies
Views
Hi, I turned my central heating on for the first time today this year and it started to bang and the flame inside looked a bit erratic. Upon looking in the pilot light viewer it looks like there is debris/embers burning resting on the bottom. I turned everything off and switched it back on to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I hope you are doing well. I have a problem. Not sure if this was always like that or something is degrading. Whenever the toilet refills when it finishes there is a knock in the pipes. The same happens when the washing machine finishes taking water. Is this because there is too tight...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock