Search the forum,

Discuss Atag One replacement in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have an Atag iC Economiser 27 boiler from 2017, not the more recent "plus" model. It came with an Atag One controller which is hooked in with a 2 wire OpenTherm bus connection.

The controller is about to pack in and I'm looking at Tado instead. The controller battery is on its last legs and a new one from Atag will be 90-odd quid!

In general, has anyone had any issues with OpenTherm compatibility with this boiler?

More specifically, I've been looking at Tado as a replacement. I've read that the only UK model that does OpenTherm is the wired thermostat. Is that really the case? Looks to me like the "Wireless Receiver" in the wireless kits have OpenTherm too.

Tado support said I'd need the "One BCU" module for this to work. I'm interested in the details of what that is and why it's needed, but I didn't want to bug a clearly busy Tado support person. Can anyone elaborate?

Atag themselves are touting Tado on their website, so clearly something works, maybe just not this model. Their support folk aren't too willing to discuss these kind of details with non-accredited installers. I'm keen to keep the 14 year guarantee alive, and tado is "blessed" by Atag.

Why won't the OpenTherm bus connection "just work", regardless of controller manufacturer?

Can I just use the basic on/off connector? Is modulation of the boiler via opentherm really that big a deal?

Thanks,
Dave

I have the same boiler and swapped out the One controller for a 3rd generation Nest stat I've not had a issue since and it works fine with open therm , I can't advise on Tado but reading the literature I think it's suitable opentherm will definitely improve your energy efficiency and save you money on your gas bill. Kop

I think good optimisation with opentherm is under-rated.
Literature I've seen states 1-2% saving but I'm sure these are like for like comparisons.
I think with added comfort of a well setup load compensated ststem, heating can be run at a lower temp for same comfort level.
If that's possible then should be more like 10%

I think good optimisation with opentherm is under-rated.
Literature I've seen states 1-2% saving but I'm sure these are like for like comparisons.
I think with added comfort of a well setup load compensated ststem, heating can be run at a lower temp for same comfort level.
If that's possible then should be more like 10%
I totally agree the hardest part is educating people that their radiators don't need to be piping hot all the time 😉👍. Kop

Thanks for the replies.

I eventually got a reply from Atag. They didn't outright say I need the BCU, just to "follow Tado Technical Support".

Tado came back again with "Your current system is working via the ATAG EBUS, but tado° must use OpenTherm. And for this boiler to use OpenTherm, the BCU or translation module needs to be there." Clearly that's not entirely true if Nest works fine.

So inconclusive whether Tado will "just work".

Lost my paperwork, but I'm only on the 10 year warranty after all, apparently. Opting for a second hand Nest E from Gumtree in the end. So cheap it won't matter if it doesn't work.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for the replies.

I eventually got a reply from Atag. They didn't outright say I need the BCU, just to "follow Tado Technical Support".

Tado came back again with "Your current system is working via the ATAG EBUS, but tado° must use OpenTherm. And for this boiler to use OpenTherm, the BCU or translation module needs to be there." Clearly that's not entirely true if Nest works fine.

So inconclusive whether Tado will "just work".

Lost my paperwork, but I'm only on the 10 year warranty after all, apparently. Opting for a second hand Nest E from Gumtree in the end. So cheap it won't matter if it doesn't work.

Cheers,
Dave
I don't think that's entirely true but as I said before Nest is compatible. Kop

Hi everyone,

I have purchased a Nest 3rd Learning for my ATAG I28C (I-Serie 2016 year) and it works pretty well.
Unfortunally modulation is not perfect like weather compensation mode (without ambient controller, only external temperature probe connected to the boiler).
I bought the Nest for a smarter and tighter heating managment but when ambient temperature reach the set-point, Nest turns off the boiler.
Furthermore I must strictly set the maximium heating water temperature , because it seems that sometimes Nest raise up the water temperature to the maximum value.
At this point I would ask to King of Pipes, if he has the ATAG BCU (of One kit) between ATAG boiler and Nest Heat Link (I suppose that you have the same model of me - 3rd Learning).
TY
Paolo

The Nest E is working, but I'd agree the modulation is quite "different". I've not had it in long enough to really get a good impression yet.

I really miss being able to see the set point and flow/return temp from the app. I'd like to explore the API some day, though probably I'll never have time.

Hi everyone,

I have purchased a Nest 3rd Learning for my ATAG I28C (I-Serie 2016 year) and it works pretty well.
Unfortunally modulation is not perfect like weather compensation mode (without ambient controller, only external temperature probe connected to the boiler).
I bought the Nest for a smarter and tighter heating managment but when ambient temperature reach the set-point, Nest turns off the boiler.
Furthermore I must strictly set the maximium heating water temperature , because it seems that sometimes Nest raise up the water temperature to the maximum value.
At this point I would ask to King of Pipes, if he has the ATAG BCU (of One kit) between ATAG boiler and Nest Heat Link (I suppose that you have the same model of me - 3rd Learning).
TY
Paolo
No I don't have the module fitted just 3rd generation Nest and heatlink wired to opentherm connections in the boiler Atag ic27 economiser . Kop

No I don't have the module fitted just 3rd generation Nest and heatlink wired to opentherm connections in the boiler Atag ic27 economiser . Kop
Ok, and do you observe the effect of modulation? In my case, the boiler works at the maximum temperature value that I have set on the thermostat and on the boiler panel. Obviously i've also setted Opentherm mode into the settings menù of the Nest, but it doesn't matter: when set point ambient temperature is reached, the boiler turns off (for the joy of the reporting section! -_-"").

and then... and then in a GERMAN boiler manual you find that "The following (clock) thermostats can be connected to the ATAG i-Series:
  • Bus: connect the ATAG One directly to the BUS position.
  • Bus+OT-LPA1): connect a Round Modulation, WiZe or OpenTherm thermostat/controller on OT-LPA (1) and then on OT-LPA in position
BUS (2). See figure 9.1.a.

1) OT-LPA stands for OpenTherm Low Power Adapter.
This adapter must be between the autopilot and
thermostat/regulator be connected, if
there is an ATAG WiZe, Round Modulation or other OpenTherm controller is used".

OT-Adapter is a ridiculous little circuit to be applied in series between the cable coming from Opentherm interface (Nest Heatlink in this case) and the boiler control board. Maybe I'll try it, but I have to find it before.
Meanwhile, I'm speechless, I just say DAMN!

Why informations are soooo fragmented?! --..--

Reply to Atag One replacement in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock