Discuss any boiler serviced for £29.99 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you've got 10 people in a room. There is me stood there, I charge £30 to service a boiler. Next to me, we have Jim. Jim charges £80 to service a boiler.

You might get 1 or 2 choose Jim, because they think the higher price mean that they're getting something better for their extra £50.

The rest will choose me, because i'm £50 cheaper.

Now I have 9 new customers, Jim has 1 new customer.

This room is the market, and I'm £50 cheaper.

i see merit in both the only question is how u gonna tell the punter ur only charging 30 dabs local rag ? no bugger reads that anymore

Cards in shop windows (I paid £1.25 to put a card in a local newsagents window for 2 months!), go to burger vans and ask if you can blutack a card up (most let you if you're fairly regular, just change up where you get your bacon sarnies every few days), print out some leaflets and go drop them through doors in the evenings (not so much any more).
Put cards in sandwich bars, coffee shops, anything with a big footfall where people are stood waiting for something (more likely to look around, and at my card), advert on your van (magnetic signs from vistaprint cost next to nothing).

And of course, nothing compares to getting a couple of churchgoers on the books. You get one, you get the congregation :)

yep have 2 churches a rabbi a 1 freemasion 3 coppers 2 firemen 5 greenwashers 3 nurses 16 teachers 1 prison officer 7 so called property devlopers in last years diary and yes i did keep score in the back last year . me and my spark mate had a points system he won on points and i paid for a case of ale at xmass lol

Back to the £30 service, maybe the guy has a few employees and trying to keep everyone in work.

It's never just an hour to do a proper service though is it. By the time you've jotted up travelling time it can be anything up to another hour on top of the time it's taken to complete the service. Then you've got all your overheads on top of that. Say your lucky and it's 15mins there and 15mins back, overall it's taken you an hour and a half. That gives you £20 quid an hour without even taking into account your overheads and the fact your self employed so need to factor in lack of holiday/sick pay e.t.c.

Each to their own, but this should be a skilled trade and i don't want to work for peanuts. Not only that i'd rather work for customers that want me to do the job because i do a good job, not because i'm the cheapest.

I won't even start the van for less than £40, with all the costs involved in running a business it's just not worth it. Doing services for £30 just about sums up the state the industry is in right now. You can talk about the need to survive, mouths to feed etc etc, but at the end of the day I'd rather work in Tesco than service a boiler for £30.00. At least there is no possibility of life in prison if you stack the shelves wrong.

Common sense tells you that if you charge £29.99 for a service, then eventually someone is going to charge £25.99, then someone else £19.99 etc etc etc until maybe in a few years time we will be paying the customer to service there boiler. Eventually people will realise that training costs, business running costs far outweigh the salary that can actually be made. Then less people will apply to be gas engineers and some other fad will come along full of promise and pots of gold.

Suddenly there will be a shortage of engineers, so prices will rise and the whole game will start over again and I will no doubt be typing the same nonsense about the same subject in ten years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to any boiler serviced for £29.99 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need someone to replace my boiler, I am thinking to get an Intergas HRE 24 SB. Our current boiler (and old Ideal) is in the kitchen, and we...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Hey, forum friends! 👋 Excited to introduce Master Drain Ltd, your go-to expert for top-notch drain installation and repair services. Here's what...
Replies
Views
Hi all We had a boiler (Potterton Assure hot water and heating system with header tank) fitted two years ago and been serviced twice by Baxi...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock