Search the forum,

Discuss After a long hiatus, I'm back. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Stigster

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Hi folks, old and new.

I'm back on the tools, back on the forums. I'm working for myself since the start of this year and just know I will be needing your help and advice sooner or later, probably sooner. This place is too good of a resource to miss out on, especially flying solo, so here I am again.

Cheers,

Stig

Hello and welcome back

Great news @Stigster great to have you back!

How are you finding working for yourself?

Great news @Stigster great to have you back!

How are you finding working for yourself?

Thanks for the welcome. I'm really enjoying it. I've taken on a few small jobs at the start of this year and I'm currently working on a bathroom for one of my old colleagues (he's a carpenter, not a plumber), a full install from scratch and it's going well. I really need a van though as I'm currently working out of my car. Luckily for anything large the merchants deliver for free here. I have the money for a van, just need to find the right one.

I like choosing my own hours as long as I'm not holding anyone up on site. The job I'm doing now for my old colleague is great as he's very understanding, a good guy. We had a discussion about my hourly rate and I've set mine quite low for this job to take the pressure off whilst I get my industrial speed up again. Also to get my confidence back working on site, not that anything went wrong in the past, just that I haven't had to plan and execute a larger job (for me) for a long time so I know I'm faffing a bit.

I spent the last ten years working at a trade school in the plumbing workshop and it just became time for a change. Plus I like to travel in Europe with road trips and camping so this will enable me to do more of that. I've been single the last few years now, don't have a property anymore :-( and have somewhere decent and affordable to live (very rare these days) so going well. At least I have a lot of freedom now.

It's good to be back here too.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm really enjoying it. I've taken on a few small jobs at the start of this year and I'm currently working on a bathroom for one of my old colleagues (he's a carpenter, not a plumber), a full install from scratch and it's going well. I really need a van though as I'm currently working out of my car. Luckily for anything large the merchants deliver for free here. I have the money for a van, just need to find the right one.

I like choosing my own hours as long as I'm not holding anyone up on site. The job I'm doing now for my old colleague is great as he's very understanding, a good guy. We had a discussion about my hourly rate and I've set mine quite low for this job to take the pressure off whilst I get my industrial speed up again. Also to get my confidence back working on site, not that anything went wrong in the past, just that I haven't had to plan and execute a larger job (for me) for a long time so I know I'm faffing a bit.

I spent the last ten years working at a trade school in the plumbing workshop and it just became time for a change. Plus I like to travel in Europe with road trips and camping so this will enable me to do more of that. I've been single the last few years now, don't have a property anymore :-( and have somewhere decent and affordable to live (very rare these days) so going well. At least I have a lot of freedom now.

It's good to be back here too.
Well we are very happy to see you back too - living costs just seem to be going up and up each month right now..

What vans are on your shortlist? Have you had a look at any? Lots of electric Amazon and DPD vans round here now!

I would love a camping trip anywhere but I think it is still a bit too cold for me! I much prefer Summer!

Well we are very happy to see you back too - living costs just seem to be going up and up each month right now..

What vans are on your shortlist? Have you had a look at any? Lots of electric Amazon and DPD vans round here now!

I would love a camping trip anywhere but I think it is still a bit too cold for me! I much prefer Summer!

I'm looking at a petrol or diesel Nissan NV200 or Toyota Proace City. I like the idea of electric but I have on-street parking and nowhere easy to charge. Same goes for in Europe. I go right out in the sticks and also make some seriously long journeys and the infrastructure just isn't really there in France and Spain in particular. Not yet anyway.

I notice that small petrol and diesel vans are costing more than the equivalent electric, at least where I live on the Island of Guernsey which is a shame but again, for so many of us the charging opportunities are just not there yet.

As for cost of living, yes indeed. Rents here are insane and a mortgage is so far out of reach for me right now and I'm not getting any younger. After I got divorced I moved back to my dad's place. He's cool and a great guy but I moved out of home in 1997 and I don't want to go backwards on that front. Luckily for me a good old mate moved back to the island and wanted a tenant to share the house and he's really reasonable with the rent. Another thing that has afforded me a lot more freedom than I was ever used to.

Overall, things are on the up. And also, thank you for asking!

Just Googled where you lived.
Looks like a nice place.

I also live on a island.
Hi Oz,

I like island life, love the sea and the beaches we have, everything is nearby. There's also a heck of a lot of work available here. Lots of people in a very small place. The winter and stormy/wet weather drags on for what feels like forever it seems and that's the only thing I don't like. Oh and the cost of getting off the island is really quite high unless you are going as a foot passenger on one of the boats.

Still, I can't complain as it is a nice place to live. My daughter and granddaughter are here on the island too which is great. They are only a ten minute drive or cycle away. I have lived here my whole life.

Reply to After a long hiatus, I'm back. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock