Discuss Advise please upvc door related in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clio182

Hi all,
had a upvc door frame and window fitted about 5 months ago now! had a few problems at first - as i wanted the back of the property returning to how it was - (we moved in there wasnt any door or window) back door that leads to the conservatory.

as the house was plastered to make the kitchen bigger - the fitter used just the screw type fittings (no plugs) with in a couple of days this just pulled the door frame off the wall, he came back (using the same fixings) and got the impression hoped for the best
i was that cheesed off (at the time) i told them that i was going to put in a fixing in the middle and this helped (as i know him it wasnt worth the argument)
cut a long story short - i fitted some quadrant and filled it in with some caulking filler this did make things better

the frame still moves i would say A MAX OF 5mm
the fitter never used any frame packers or expansing foam! which i feel might have helped

i would say that the frame just moves in the middle as you open the door fully,

ive explained the problems to my contact he said that these are the problems with having to fit a door on one side

the lock and door seems to be ok

my only suggestions to try and make things better are a frame packer in the middle as this is the bit were it moves or some expanding foam or some good sealant that gives a little?!

any suggestions please

and i dont want the suggesion best to get in touch with the fitter (i know warrenty will be void) im not bothered about that id just like to fit it (im pretty good at diy)

My dad is pretty good Builder all round he said i should put some metal at the back of it, but that im my eyes seems a bit drastic to rip it out

thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
will this hold it more in the middle? stop the frame from bowing (so to speak) when you open the door?

If you spray expanding foam in the gap and dont use the door for 24hrs to give it a chance to go off, it should hold it

the only things is though the gap is at its biggest when you open it and the door is say fully open. (only gap in the middle)
the gap is hardly anything when you close it

?? bit scared to fill it when the door is open and it could cause problems to shut

thanks for your reply :)

spray in when its shut and dont open, it will expand and fill all the gaps and when totally off it will hold the frame solid.

Why did you ask this in a plumbers forum?

fill it when it is open then before the foam cures close the door.

ok will try this ^^ ive only used caulking stuff - it last a couple of weeks then cracks and looks naff.

im sure the expanding foam will be more solid than the caulk????

i asked it on the plumbers foam as ive tried a few foams and you guys seem to be more friendly and helpful :)

cant it cause the frame to move though, seems pretty sold (ish) and hopeing if its just the bit in the middle shouldnt cause any problems to the door opening locking etc

cant it cause the frame to move though, seems pretty sold (ish) and hopeing if its just the bit in the middle shouldnt cause any problems to the door opening locking etc
It will be far better than caulk and won't cause any problems unless you leave the door open after exp. foaming and then you never shut it!

Thank we are freindly bunch mostly;)

ok il try it, any suggestions on what to use?

also ive put some quadrant up and that sill cause gap (as the quadrant is attached to the frame (slightly) and to the wall - would i be better off taking the quadrant off (which i dont really want to do) or just fill around the quadrant?) this is were he gap apprears at the moment??

thanks i know im asking lots of questions sorry

take off the quadrant and spray in foam when totally dry cut off excess with sharp knife and refit quadrant, just google "expanding foam" and choose a well known make

ok thanks, so you think fill it when its open, then close it shut and leave?

thanks

so, the mullion above the door sags when door open?.
put hammer fixing into lintel, providing there is one.

i smell 2 problems,
1, the door frame is not steel enforced.
2, fensa will not be calling around to ensure it complies with building reg's?.

or have i got it wrong?

[DLMURL="http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/4694-sx-handheld-expanding-foam.html"]http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/4694-sx-handheld-expanding-foam.html[/DLMURL]

bought some of this will give it ago :)

Last edited by a moderator:
should the previous fitter used some plastic packers also?!

will have a go at foam filling it to night! :)

Dont get the foam on your hands or anywhere it shouldnt be as its almost impossible to remove.

hello all,

yesterday (last night) i tool the trim off (quadrant) that i put up as i want happy with the fit a while back - i also previously put an extra screw in it (with a plug) this got hold much better than what there fitter used!!

and there doesnt seem to be much movement at all - im expecting a tiny bit of cracking but nothing like it was - left the quadrant off painted up

no room for expanding foam and so far so good! so purhaps worrying over nothing! thanks all!! :)

hello all,

yesterday (last night) i took the trim off (quadrant) that i put up as i wasnt happy with the fit a while back - i also previously put an extra screw in it (with a plug) this got hold much better than what there fitter used!!

and there doesnt seem to be much movement at all - im expecting a tiny bit of cracking but nothing like it was - left the quadrant off painted up

no room for expanding foam and so far so good! so purhaps worrying over nothing! thanks all!! :)[/QUOTE]

thanks going to leave it as it is at the moment but will do this ^^ if it moves again or i get any cracks :)thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advise please upvc door related in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, would anyone like to hazard a guess at what's causing this problem on the ground floor of our house? As you can see, the bottom of both sides...
Replies
Views
We are considering buying a house which currently has a 20 year old Ideal Icos boiler, so we're factoring in replacing the boiler soon. Current...
Replies
Views
Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock