Search the forum,

Discuss What could be causing this? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, would anyone like to hazard a guess at what's causing this problem on the ground floor of our house? As you can see, the bottom of both sides of the door frame are wet. The doorway is nowhere near any windows and is positioned pretty much in the centre of the house. Could this be water dripping down a pipe from above or likely some kind of leak under the floor? Why would it be localised to the door frame?

I've had two plumber/builders visit to give an assessment but both declined to take the job any further. It's very worrying and I just want to get it rectified.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    693 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    808 KB · Views: 22
Is it a concrete floors?

If you turn the central heating on does this leak become hot?

Is your water meter constantly spinning even with no usage in the house?

How about if you turn the internal stopcock off?

Etc etc many questions but these 4 will do to start with…

Could be a number of things. Nailed pipe, pin holed pipe, leaking joint. Needs investigating obviously. I'd see it as a challenge and sort it! It can't be that difficult. Its not a bad job is it?

What amazes me is the amount of times (not just on forum but in real life) I hear "Plumbers won't take it on". I've heard it twice in as many weeks and it's not one plumber either, it's normally a procession.

Why would a Plumber not take that on? The two above have engaged the same part of the brain as I did from the off. Curiosity, intrigue, challenge etc. To locate that and fix it gives a sense of job satisfaction never mind being paid.

Maybe it's a generation thing? God knows!

Looking at the circle of damp, my guess would be that there's water running down the inside of the architrave. Or a pipe behind it? What's above? What did the visiting Plumbers think it was?

I have had to repair a couple of leak for floor fitting friend wher the pipes run down behind the architrav. But If floors are wood I would plump for the carpet gripper through pipe.

Reply to What could be causing this? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock