Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on quitting or staying in current job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

81ll

Gas Engineer
I am a gas safe engineer with little experience in the industry. I can do servicing, CP12's, basic fitting work and very minimal fault finding.

To progress my career I started working for a company & have been there for 3 months. Issue is I Spend 95% of my time servicing which is getting boring. I have asked to do more and am told I am to slow fitting and will get to do fault finding but nothing is changing.

i am now thinking I will give it 6 months and then move on if nothing changes.

What would you guys out there recommend I do.

Stay if you wanna stay or go if you wanna go, at the end of the day only you will know.

Theres a song in there somewhere :)

As rpm said, nobody can make or direct you into a decision other than yourself.

You have only been there 3 months though.

My concern about leaving is I won't have any support if I come across jobs I'm struggling with.

i don't want to quit then find out this is what it like in the industry e.g. Companies get you to do simple stuff then start developing you after you've been there for 6 months...

what I wanted to understand is have other ppl been in this position

My concern about leaving is I won't have any support if I come across jobs I'm struggling with.

i don't want to quit then find out this is what it like in the industry e.g. Companies get you to do simple stuff then start developing you after you've been there for 6 months...

no company wants to develop you. They want to earn from you. Work is boring. It's not all bored lonely housewives and yummy mummy's. You've been there 3 months. It wasn't that long ago that you were worried about finding a job. They've given you a foot in the door. Stick it out for at least anther 6 months.

Personally I`ve had loads of jobs where the interview hasn`t lived up in real life and I`ve given it six months but kept an eye out for other jobs at the same time. One company offered me a big pay rise when I quit but I stll quit telling them "What`s to say you wont do it to me again?"

In a previous life I worked on a production line. Sat picking up 4 glass vials, looking at them, pulling out anything dodgy and then putting them down on a different conveyor. Did this for two months before the team manager dragged me in the office to tell me I looked miserable in my work. I had transferred into the department so that I could stay on shifts. I asked him if there was a problem with my work, there wasnt. I explained that I dont need to sit there for 8 hours with a cheesy smile on my face to do a good job. After all I was only there for the money. Well he thought that my attitude was bad for saying that. I told him he was either a liar or a very sad individual if he was there for anything different. The next day my training started on the machines, then in the sterile areas etc.

Get stuck into your boss or supervisor, but, could you handle him turning round saying no chance cos youre not good enough? Not saying youre not though.

It wasn't that long ago that you were worried about finding a job. They've given you a foot in the door. Stick it out for at least anther 6 months.

Didn`t realise that AP, with that knowledge I now say stay!

Just remember as well. If you do move on then you will be the newbie again. The newbie always gets the crap.

Stick it out. I have been working for this place i'm at almost 2 years now, I still don't like the way they do things but it keeps my hands on the tools and i do a wide variety of work.

If you have only been there 3 months and been doing servicing work for the majority of that time how has your boss decided that you are too slow on installs etc? if he gave you one or two install jobs when you started and you was slow and now he has decided you will never be doing that work then that's not very good. Like someone has already said though, you are there to earn him money not learn and develop. I know my boss couldn't give a toss about me and i'm not bothered, i'm there to earn them money, not be happy.

Take on the type of work you want to do evenings and weekends and learn from your own mistakes, you don't have to put a lot of pressure on yourself because if it doesn't work out you still have your day job.

You have only been there for 3 months, i would give it more time you never know what might happen. If it is that bad stay there, save some money and keep looking for something better. Easier to find a better job when you have a job.

3 months is nothing, you need to look on the bright side of things and realise you have a job and ultimately a way to progress your skill base with this company. No company is going to throw courses or money at you so soon after joining! How long was you with your last firm?

Think I'll stick it out for another 3 months, and then take it from there.

reason I was thinking about leaving is A guy I trained with is working for himself, picking and choosing his jobs.

i feel he is progressing quicker than me....

We all progress at different rates mate and you`ve already said your not ready to go self employed.

Listen to the people above ^^^^^^^^. Sound advice. 3 months is nothing. Stick it out, offer to do installs on Saturdays etc. You could leave, get another job and have your new boss putting serious pressure on you to get the work done faster. From the sounds of it you've got a cushy number pal. Stay there, develop yourself and your skills and LEARN. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Yah all day servicing, that would do me, try working for a manufacturer 8/9 jobs per day mainly diagnosing/repairing with travel anywhere between 150/200+ miles per day with little or no thanks......... Take my advice stay where you are, keep your head down an learn as much as you can lol

Think I'll stick it out for another 3 months, and then take it from there.

reason I was thinking about leaving is A guy I trained with is working for himself, picking and choosing his jobs.

i feel he is progressing quicker than me....

Your mate might be telling the truth but he is not likely to say he is scratching around for work and is struggling to pay his bills is he, he will want you to think he's doing great. I know a lad who left the army after me with lots of electrician qualifications and reckons he's booked up day in day out now. He was a b.s'er in the army to the point he talked that much carp we didn't know how he got away with it. We used to call him rowntrees randoms because he talked that much rubbish. Harmless and a really nice lad, I still get on with him now and stay in touch but i know he's full of it. He went straight out and got his van stickered up but asked me to write him a fake review on one of the tradesmans sites. How many others did he ask? If he has to ask that then he isn't busy. Would love to see him doing as well as he says but i'd bet my life it's b.s

Not saying your mate is the same, he might be lucky to be picking and choosing and good for him if that is the case but don't think the grass is greener, concentrate on your own career. I know a couple of tradesman who have been in their trade for 10 years and are struggling for work.

I would stay where you are at least you are staying on top of your skills.

The only advice I would give you is, if your not happy then get out of there. I was at a place that I knew was going to be crap from the start and it only knocked my confidence. Best thing I done was hand my notice in.

We all who are lucky enough go to work to earn a living, as long as your getting paid, I couldn't care what job I'm on as long as I get paid what I think I'm worth,
Look at rpm he plays with other peoples digested lunch all day

Stay grass always greener and 3 months? You haven't even settled in yet. Wind in you neck. Eat some humble pie and stick it out. Installs is boring when you've done 3000 of them then u wish u were on service

Stay grass always greener and 3 months? You haven't even settled in yet. Wind in you neck. Eat some humble pie and stick it out. Installs is boring when you've done 3000 of them then u wish u were on service

I'd comment, but a ghostly hand of god keeps editing my thoughts away :)

Give it another while. Maybe ask one of d guys doing fault finding (on d qt) how long were they doing servicing for b4 moving over.

mate your lucky be have found work with no experience so id defo stay at least for 2 years so then you should be able to move to a better firm as you'll have the experience to blag your way into other dutys. Im still on my first year at college and dreading finding a firm to take me on with no experience.... Plus building confidence to do the job in the first place.

Don't know how meny jobs you have had, or how long you have been in the Gas industry, but if your not happy with what you are doing maybe your doing the wrong job anyway , Have you thought about doing anything else ?

The way to get an employer to invest in you is to prove you are worth it. And also how you put it across to them.

Up until recently I was every employers headache, and the reason many are reluctant to invest in employees. I'd join learn everything I could make the most of my time there and move on to a company that worked on something different in order for me to learn that.

Only ever move jobs for two reasons to better yourself or better your earnings. It's pointless leaving if you're not being fed the work you'd like to do because if you can't do it you'll either end up out the door or doing the same thing you are now.

why not apply yourself to the task? Book a few days training with a manufacturer on fault finding the baxi course is considered very good. When your employer asks what the time off is for explain you'd like to get a better understanding and in the long term a better variant of work. Once you've done that ask your employer if they have a contact with their preferred manufacturer that might be able to get you a free days training there again explaining your willing to take the day as holiday. Slowly your employer will gain trust and put you on the odd breakdown eventually leading to more of that type of work.

In the mornings when you and the other lads are at the yard instead of talking football start a conversation with them "anything interesting this week lads" "oh really and how did you get to the bottom of that?"

and finally id count yourself lucky they don't want to put you installing that's monkey work any numbskull can hang a boiler and solder a joint. There's always furniture in the way cream carpets to work around and unrealistic deadlines to meet. Plus the amount of tools required on the basis of you never know what you'll encounter is ridiculous

I personally would love a year to 18 months solid on installs then the same on breakdowns. I'd be flying then.

At the minute i'm mostly doing maintenance work, gas safety checks, about 1 install a month and a few breakdowns. It's a very long winded way for me to learn but i'd rather be doing it this way than having to wake up every morning and start the job hunt.

I was unemployed for about 6 weeks when i was 19, naively i left a job thinking i would get a new one within a few days. I swore to myself i would never leave a job again without something else to go to no matter how fed up I got. It means I have to eat carp from time to time but anything is better than being unemployed.

My dad always says life can be hard but it's a lot harder when you got no money coming in. All of lifes problems are worse when you are skint. Just stick at it, as each month passes you are notching up the experience.

Stick it out and enjoy what you are doing.
it can't be installs every day for every body. Personally enjoy the LL checks and servicing as well as installation work, in every new rented property a new gas nightmare awaits lol!

I like others here got my notification on my phone that someone else has replied to this thread. Let us know how you get on fellow

New job new problems. At least you know what you dealing with now

For now I'm staying booked myself on some courses and will take it from there.

I don't mind doing donkey work, just want to progress as an engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on quitting or staying in current job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock