Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on brand new Potterton Powermax in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pennard

Hi I have joined this great forum to try and get some advice from the experts here :smiley2:

9 years ago I built an extension that has been finished externally but due to a new baby arriving work stopped and it still hasnt been completed!!! At the time I bought a new boiler that is still sitting wrapped up in the garage waiting to be installed!

For the last 6 months I have tried to get numerous plumbers round to install it but most dont even call back when they find that the boiler is a Potterton Powermax HE with a 90ltr tank. I am told that it is very hard to work on, unreliable and impossible to get parts for anymore. They say that I should cut my losses and just by a new Vaillant system boiler and a 200ltr tank.

So should it try and get it installed still?

or sell it whole on ebay/ or break it and sell the parts? and get a different boiler installed?

Thanks for any help

Martin

Hi
I would ring a plumber and say I will pay you £10 an hour more than your normal rate. This will be more attractive and justify fitting a customer supplied boiler. These will still beed guaranteeing with the manufacturer and registering with fas safe. Most plumbers put a profit on the boiler cost to allow for this. .

Hi
I would ring a plumber and say I will pay you £10 an hour more than your normal rate. This will be more attractive and justify fitting a customer supplied boiler. These will still beed guaranteeing with the manufacturer and registering with fas safe. Most plumbers put a profit on the boiler cost to allow for this. .

Check with potterton to see if there will still be a warranty as it has never been fitted, problems could occur because it has been stored for so long, and any one installing it for you would be worried about this.

Powermax were a good idea, but servicing a problem as was flue.(corrosion)
If it comes complete with flue pipe sell on ebay. These were often installed in positions,away from external wall, unsuitable for condensate runs or unvented pressure relief pipework.
Only someone in that situation would contemplate a direct swap but essential flue changed with boiler.

Powermax were a good idea, but servicing a problem as was flue.(corrosion)
If it comes complete with flue pipe sell on ebay. These were often installed in positions,away from external wall, unsuitable for condensate runs or unvented pressure relief pipework.
Only someone in that situation would contemplate a direct swap but essential flue changed with boiler.

Thanks for the replies.

I have all the flue pipes along with extra bends, straights and even 2 lead roof vents

Any idea what the value would be??

To add I now have a 3,68 kw solar array on the roof so could divert any spare generation to an immersion heater if I went for a system boiler / tank setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the boilers nine years the old Baxi won't honour any warranty. As a rule we don't like fitting supplied boilers, customers complain as what they perceive to be our labour charges.

Put it on ebay. Start at £500.00 Cash on collection. No point in having paypal keep money for 90 days and too many opportunities to rise a grievance. Whats your area.

Put it on ebay. Start at £500.00 Cash on collection. No point in having paypal keep money for 90 days and too many opportunities to rise a grievance. Whats your area.
Be lucky to get £200!

Be lucky to get £200!

I agree with the eBay idea. I think it would sell well particularly around Southampton. There's loads of them fitted around the city centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on brand new Potterton Powermax in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock