Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on balancing a single pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ASJ

Hello I'm new on here so apologise if this has already been covered but couldn't find anything on the search.

I am looking for some advice on ballancing a single pipe central heating system. My question is should i be striving to achieve the 11 degC temperature drop accross each radiator, as you would do with a 2 pipe system pipe system, or should i just try to get them all as close to the same temperature as possible?

Also the upstairs loop is tee'd off the downstairs loop but has a gate valve on the return pipe before it feeds back into the downstairs loop. what would this be for? Is this something to do with the ballancing the upstairs loop?

Many thanks.

Yes, its for balancing the loops.

It's a right pain to balance a single pipe system. First you need to open up all the valves and lockshields, balance the loops, then start at the radiators at the end of the loops and work your way to the front.

Do it by feel - if you're trying to get set temperature drops you'll end up pulling your hair out!

Thanks for your reply WHPES,
When i'm ballancing the upstairs and downstairs loops where is the best place to "measure" the temperature.
logic suggests to me that it should be on the return pipes just before they join back up at the Tee, is that right?

As for the rest i'm basically trying to get all radiators on each loop as close to the same temperature as possible, not concentrating too hard on the actual drops!

Across flow and return.

Bear in mind you'll have to be constantly checking all of them as you go on. Single pipe systems are a nightmare!

Thanks, I know they're not the best but at least it will keep me off the streets until i get round to adding another pipe next summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on balancing a single pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi All I have a single pipe central heating system which was extended 20 years ago when we had an extension. The heating upstairs has never been great particularly in the extended part with only a few of the original radiators getting very hot. We replaced the downstairs radiators with UFH...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional actuators. Problem is , one loop (far right in photo) isn't heating the floor (timber suspended) . I've bled the loop via a hosepipe, shut off all the other...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need to tell you about my system, and the problem I’ve been having. Just over 7years ago I had a new CH system installed in my small semi. I say new – in...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock