Discuss Advice needed on heat exchangers for log boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PinkyPerky

Hello
I would welcome advice on heat exchangers for a log boiler.
First a description on my system:
Existing system:
This is a 115000BTU = 33kW sealed system pressure-jet oil boiler. This has a very low water content as the radiators are either fan convectors, Finrads or bathroom towel rails.
The system has two pumps, one for heating (two zones - downstairs+bathroom, upstairs+bathroom) and the other for domestic hot water.
A Horstmann Channel Plus programmer having 2 heating circuits and DHW, separately controls the valves, using their SPT relays to control the boiler and pumps. The oil boiler will be moved to the boiler house next spring when I hope to commission the whole system.
Additional New System:
I have built a boiler house for an Orlan 40kW log boiler with two 1000 litre accumulators and these and the flue are installed but not plumbed yet. I have a Laddomat and expansion tanks. Connection to the house will be by Openor quadro but I haven’t dug the trench yet:)
I have a 6x20 tube solar array which will heat one accumulator through its coil and be diverted to that in the second accumulator in a good summer, though I could split into two arrays and heat each accumulator. I still have to devise controls to keep stratification in the accumulators.

I want to keep the two systems separate. I did consider a LLH but it wouldn’t allow this.
I instead propose connecting the two accumulators to one or two multiplate heat exchangers for heating and connecting the accumulator with solar input to a third multiplate heat exchangers for the dhw. These would be in the boiler house with the existing system plumbed in afterwards, with motorised valves to keep the systems separate as only one system will be used at a time. I can then use one pair of Uponor pipes for heating and the other for dhw. This would allow me to use the existing pumps and expansion vessel inside the house and leave the house system unchanged.
I am not familiar with plate type heat exchangers and wonder if anyone could recommend suitable ones that I could use with my system.
I welcome advice!
Thanks
Vic

Last edited by a moderator:
why would you go for plate heat exes when you have the ideal set up for thermal stores and blending valves off the stores coil for hw and direct water to heating?

sounds like a bit of knowledge being dangerous, surely to be efficient you need to keep the system as one.

Thanks for your comments but don't agree. Why should I go from a system with very low water content to one which has 2000+ litres when I may not always use the log-boiler?
By moving the motorised valves to the accumulator side of the heat exchangers I can use just one heat exchanger for heating and one for dhw. How is that over complicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed on heat exchangers for log boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock