Search the forum,

Discuss Advice around buying designer radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys

I'm new to this platform and trying to do some market research for my start up company poshrads.co.uk and reach out to potential tradesmen/plumbers

My question is how often are you finding customers are asking for designer radiators as to a standard convector standard rad if so where are you buying from and which is the most common style.

Regards
Robbie

Hi Guys

I'm new to this platform and trying to do some market research for my start up company poshrads.co.uk and reach out to potential tradesmen/plumbers

My question is how often are you finding customers are asking for designer radiators as to a standard convector standard rad if so where are you buying from and which is the most common style.

Regards
Robbie

I wouldn't touch a radiator not from a recognised brand, the costs isn't much different but the quality is worlds apart.

I also avoid buying radiators by post at all costs, postage costs are so high its cheaper to buy from a merchant and every second one arrives smashed to bits.

Your site looks good but the non geographical phone number, lack of any sort of WHOIS information, 6 month old company and a postal address of what appears to be an accountant would stop me buying from you. Last thing I want is to have a warranty claim in 2 years just to find the company no longer exists or equally likely they can no longer supply the radiator because the Chinese manufacturer went bust because that's what off brand manufacturers do.

Last edited:
As above really.

If I’m asked I will always buy through my local merchants as any problem is easily sorted and they take me at my word if I say the thing was damaged or get me an at cost replacement if I tell them I’ve damaged it myself etc.

They don’t supply cheap rubbish for short term profit, we get quality at a reasonable price.

I know when the items have landed and there’s no waiting around for deliveries on my part, I just go and collect it when I need to.

If I’m not sure how it will be plumbed I can take three or four sets of valves on approval and return those I didn’t need the next time I go there anyway.

No online retailer can match this service.

So sorry I’m not interested.

As above really.

If I’m asked I will always buy through my local merchants as any problem is easily sorted and they take me at my word if I say the thing was damaged or get me an at cost replacement if I tell them I’ve damaged it myself etc.

They don’t supply cheap rubbish for short term profit, we get quality at a reasonable price.

I know when the items have landed and there’s no waiting around for deliveries on my part, I just go and collect it when I need to.

If I’m not sure how it will be plumbed I can take three or four sets of valves on approval and return those I didn’t need the next time I go there anyway.

No online retailer can match this service.

So sorry I’m not interested.
Cheers Ben-Gee thanks for responding i appreciate your concerns around buying online and the smooth transaction of local merchant in a case where a customer would want a bespoke made to order size oe colour for example what do you do to approach that as i'm wondering if that is a service i can focus on?
[automerge]1569160129[/automerge]
I wouldn't touch a radiator not from a recognised brand, the costs isn't much different but the quality is worlds apart.

I also avoid buying radiators by post at all costs, postage costs are so high its cheaper to buy from a merchant and every second one arrives smashed to bits.

Your site looks good but the non geographical phone number, lack of any sort of WHOIS information, 6 month old company and a postal address of what appears to be an accountant would stop me buying from you. Last thing I want is to have a warranty claim in 2 years just to find the company no longer exists or equally likely they can no longer supply the radiator because the Chinese manufacturer went bust because that's what off brand manufacturers do.
Great detailed response so thanks for that with that said in which brands do you have a trust with i would like to think i only deal with brands i believe in. I have been in the industry for 3 years only in retail and have now narrowed it down to handful of brands i can trust.

My best friend went down your route with special up market designer rads. There are a number of things you will need to consider.
1. Internet and designer do not always match up...people whom pay top prices for designer rads DO NOT want it turning up in anybodies house
2. Choose a wealthy town...Frank did Bath...I would choose Knutsford
Alderly Edge really wealthy towns
3. Open a shop with all the stuff on view ..you can get that for nothing as demo ones
4.Charge the earth
5. Operate a fitting service with competant engineers
6. Advertise in the local version of Country Life
7. Do a Snazzy shop dress well talk it up, get some smart part time
assistants middle aged men and women selling inspire confidence
8. Stock needs are minimal ...because you are selling special stuff and you might have to liase with architects and interior designers who will demand detailed specifications.
Frank did this ...we made a fortune together in property building and centralheating etc inc. mes and he went on to do very well using this principle with his rad shop...after 6 years he sold out and bought a big house worth now ...who knows £800,000 plus. I went into component plumbing design ...and also never looked back ..ok there you go
we are still great friends ....centralheatking

Last edited:
Cheers Ben-Gee thanks for responding i appreciate your concerns around buying online and the smooth transaction of local merchant in a case where a customer would want a bespoke made to order size oe colour for example what do you do to approach that as i'm wondering if that is a service i can focus on?
[automerge]1569160129[/automerge]

Great detailed response so thanks for that with that said in which brands do you have a trust with i would like to think i only deal with brands i believe in. I have been in the industry for 3 years only in retail and have now narrowed it down to handful of brands i can trust.

I’ve never had a problem with a Stelrad, Myson or a DeLonghi radiator. I’m also fairly confident if I buy one I can get a like for like replacement in 5 years time, if merchant i it if for ceases trading I can buy from 10 other hughstreet merchants with a short lead time.

I think you’re going to have a very tough time selling to the trade, it’s simply not worth a businesses time/hassle/reputation waiting round for a delivery to save £20 on a radiator.

You may have more lunch signing plumbers up as registered installers.

What stock holding can you guarantee? What if I quote for a new build say it might be 18 months between my quote and getting the go ahead. Do I then find out the factory is on a shutdown you can’t get stock of 4 - 6 weeks?
[automerge]1569164074[/automerge]
My best friend went down your route with special up market designer rads. There are a number of things you will need to consider.
1. Internet and designer do not always match up...people whom pay top prices for designer rads DO NOT want it turning up in anybodies house
2. Choose a wealthy town...Frank did Bath...I would choose Knutsford
Alderly Edge really wealthy towns
3. Open a shop with all the stuff on view ..you can get that for nothing as demo ones
4.Charge the earth
5. Operate a fitting service with competant engineers
6. Advertise in the local version of Country Life
7. Do a Snazzy shop dress well talk it up, get some smart part time
assistants middle aged men and women selling inspire confidence

Frank did this ...we made a fortune together in property building and centralheating etc inc. mes and he went on to do very well using this principle with his rad shop...after 6 years he sold out and bought a big house worth now ...who knows £800,000 plus. I went into component plumbing design ...and also never looked back ..ok there you go
we are still great friends ..centralheatking

I wholeheartedly agree with the above as I’m doing something similar with high end kitchens at present. The problem is you need very deep pockets these days to set something like this up. Even renting premises I’m looking at £200 - 300’000 to rent/refurbish/launch a showroom and then another £200’000 for advertising, trade shows, promotion etc etc.

If I had 1/2 a million quid I wouldn’t set up a poncy kitchen showroom, I’d play golf and drink beer - what’s the matter with you OffshoreGas?! 🤪

It’s the cheapest scheme I could come up with to meet/become the gentleman lover of various football WAGs and other trophy wives. I’ve had 15 years on oil rigs and not managed to find a single one!

Reply to Advice around buying designer radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock