Search the forum,

Discuss 7 litre invented under sink heater in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I was at a job today and notice a 7litre under sink heater was fitted. Because of the size under 10litres do these not need a pressure relief valve and expansion vessl? It didn't have any of the kind. Thanks.

Yes they do require them

Doesn't all unvented regardless of how small require both? With no expansion vessel the pressure will rocket when heated
You can put a loop in the cold water pipe work between the check valve and the unit I think and is an acceptable way of not having an expansion vessle, I seem to remember?
[automerge]1578340624[/automerge]
You can put a loop in the cold water pipe work between the check valve and the unit I think and is an acceptable way of not having an expansion vessle, I seem to remember?
Though there isn't even that on this one

As you know when water is heated its average kinetic energy rises. Molecules move faster and if no room for expansion they bounce of system walls and generate more pressure. Personally the way I see it is it doesn't matter whether 5 litres or 500 litres, without an expansion vessel, somewhere to accumulate the expansion then the pressure will rise. Am I wrong?

Not the best as manufacturers say straight pipe work

A few years ago a friend of mine had fitted a 10 Litre Ariston under sink heater which came supplied with a Ariston PRV, but said he was worried because this PRV also had a NRV and was worried/wondered where the ~ 0.2/0.3 litre expansion could go even though it seems (here anyway) to be accepted that it can be allowed to expand back through the cold water supply provided that the nearest cold water draw off is > 2.8M to ensure that no hot water will issue from this tap (1/2" supply) when opened, (this may be the reason for a "loop"?) (and obviously as long as there is no pressure reducing valve in the cold water supply)

I had a good look at this PRV (Ariston 571730) and here is my take on them.
This PRV is fitted directly on the top of the heater with the cold feed then connected.
They are fitted where the expansion volume is taken up by the cold feed pipe and consist of three components combined in one fitting..... the PRV itself which is in the side branch, you can see a little plastic "lifting gear" which can be used to manually open the PRV or maybe can be used as a air release if the cold water supply has failed or whatever. The second component is a “NRV” (hence the worry) which is fitted in the main body of the valve and opens (downwards) to allow cold water to enter the heater when there is a hot water draw off. I think its main purpose is to act as a anti syphon valve in the event of the cold water supply failing/draining down and keeps the heater full of water, the third component is another “NRV” which is inside the "main" NRV and opens in the opposite direction to allow expanded water to escape into the cold mains, main NRV is ~ 8mm dia and the smaller NRV is ~ 6 mm.
When cold water is admitted to the heater then the main NRV (containing the smaller NRV) will open and allow the heater to fill., the main NRV will then close and as the water expands in the heater then the smaller NRV will open at 1 bar and allow the expansion into the cold feed but will still keep the heater full of water under all conditions.

Are these PRVs allowed/available/fitted in the UK? as they are relatively quite common around here but ony on 5 to 10 litre electric heaters.

Attachments

• Ariston 571730 combination valve..jpg
    Ariston 571730 combination valve..jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Water heater.jpg
    Water heater.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thank you. Can I also ask with the prv. Is the pipe allowed to go to a hepvo trap bar a tundish and be teed in to the waste pipe system with other appliances on it. Or does it need its own waste pipe if doing it this way. Like unvented over 15litres.

I'm not up to date with current regs but doesn't it need to be terminated through a visible tundish and exit externally minimising risk of blockage etc?

Tesla tun and can go to waste then

No they shouldn't and even if it did the tundish will just overflow through the sides and expel the water but wastes do block, in fact on a number of our oil condensing pipes we would drill holes in top of external run so if a waste was to block it wouldn't flood the burner, it's a lot of money in rectification if it does

No they shouldn't and even if it did the tundish will just overflow through the sides and expel the water but wastes do block, in fact on a number of our oil condensing pipes we would drill holes in top of external run so if a waste was to block it wouldn't flood the burner, it's a lot of money in rectification if it does

just hope the room the boiler in doesn’t flood had that once took two new boiler out :D
[automerge]1578524496[/automerge]
So it can go on to a waste pipe with over appliances on the run?

correct

Just using a bit of common sense, there has to be a un restricted drain/vent, (ie into a tundish) from the PRV otherwise a pressure relief valve which I prefer to call a safety valve can become a pressure reducing valve in the event of blockage of the drain which can result in catastrophic rupture, tundish overflowing/flooding or whatever are meaningless really in this context.

Reply to 7 litre invented under sink heater in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock