Discuss 300mm? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid Viscous

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Refresh my memory guys, min. distance from boiler to electric meter - I've got 300mm in my head, that right?

I don't think there is a specific regulation stating the height, minimum distances from a consumer unit.

Gas meters are 150mm from any electrical units so I would treat that as the minimum. I think common sense and judgement come in to play. I would fit it as far as possible.
if its fitted above a electric meter and had a leak at some point, if it was above I would consider fitting a cupboard over the electrical meter.

Personally wouldn't like to fit one above a meter but I haven't seen the job.

It's 150mm from electric meter to gas pipe, so as long as you meet that there as no other considerations, as others have said I wouldn't fit a boiler above an electric meter but at the side its fine

If less than 150mm the distance between gas pipe and electric meter, the books say insulating materials have to be used. Would that mean wrapping the pipes with insulating tape?
If it is not a question that can be answered on an open forum then can I pm someone on here the question. Job is tomorrow and although I am GSR, it would take a couple of days before my attempt to join the arms would go through.
p.s. Gas pipe was there before the meter went in.

If less than 150mm the distance between gas pipe and electric meter, the books say insulating materials have to be used. Would that mean wrapping the pipes with insulating tape?
If it is not a question that can be answered on an open forum then can I pm someone on here the question. Job is tomorrow and although I am GSR, it would take a couple of days before my attempt to join the arms would go through.
p.s. Gas pipe was there before the meter went in.

The preferred option is to meet the minimum clearances, however if this isn't possible it is perfectly acceptable to separate the two by any material which is considered to provide insulation, therefore electrical insulation tape, a short section of PVC pipe over the gas pipe or separation using an insulated material is acceptable

Or conduit as it looks much better than insulation tape! If u use talon clips get the appropriate size conduit. If it's a gas supply to combi you will probably want the 10mm microbore conduit as they don't do and 8mm one.

Thanks for the replies. It's the first time that I have had the problem with an electric meter being too close. The pipe (35mm) was installed long before the sparks decided that the best place for the new meter position would be next to the gas meter. It would be a bit of a pain to move the pipe (it can be done though), but I guess at this stage it would be more difficult to move all the electrics. If I can insulate the pipework then jobs a good 'un.
Thanks.

i would not be worried, its not your concern unless your altering the pipework. its the sparks that did wrong. if you want note it down as ncs on any paperwork.

Seperation distances always cause headaches. I remember the vacant look on an ACS assessors face after he insisted no mains electrical cable should be within 25mm of a gas pipe and someone said what about a multifunctional control or solenoid then? :devil2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 300mm? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock