Discuss Would you shop someone working at weekends and not declaring tax? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Wondered what you guys would do. A local person I've heard of is working a Mon-Fri job and working in holidays etc at really cheap rates. I am 99% sure they are not declaring tax and undercutting local tradesmen for this reason.

Obviously you can't be 100% sure but what would you guys do in this situation?

Leave him to it, it has nothing to do with you.

Forget it, once you start down that route you will forever be watching your back.

i agree leave him alone, because it will get out where the tip came from. not from here i hasten to add.

Wondered what you guys would do. A local person I've heard of is working a Mon-Fri job and working in holidays etc at really cheap rates. I am 99% sure they are not declaring tax and undercutting local tradesmen for this reason.

I totally see where your coming from, why should we have the hassel and not him. I'd leave him be though, its karma, I'm sure we put everything through the books!

HOWEVER, if he were claiming benefits, WHOLE different matter!

All he's trying to do is earn a bit extra here and there.

Im pretty sure EVERYBODY has done it in the past when working for firms and doing a bit on the side

how many people who are time served and employee can hold their hand up and say they have NEVER done a cash job (homer to us up here) if you have never done that then report them if you want, im a tax thief not a hypocrite

The tax man would love to shaft me so i'm not going to do him a favour and do his work for him.

I tend to concentrate on what I'm doing and don't really give a stuff what the competition is doing. Let em get on.

Isn't there a confidante phone line that you can use to grass people up? It's not the diddling the tax man it's the undercutting genuine tradespeople that pees me off. It's likely the guy is working without any PL insurance if he's doing foreigners.

When I was employed I refused to do any work on the side because I didn't have my own gas safe or insurance.

We have all done it. It is nothing new. When i was employed (a long time ago) i made as much at nights and weekends than i did working monday to friday, many of them passed to me by the company i worked for as it was a way to make me take responsibility for what i did in my own time and personally face the consequences of when it went wrong. It made you a better tradesman.
The difference from then and now is these were mostly the jobs the firms didn't want as they were too busy doing other stuff. Now there are 1000's of guys started up trying to make a living with the dross no one wanted. Shopping someone doesn't stop it and never will.

Isn't there a confidante phone line that you can use to grass people up? It's not the diddling the tax man it's the undercutting genuine tradespeople that pees me off. It's likely the guy is working without any PL insurance if he's doing foreigners.

When I was employed I refused to do any work on the side because I didn't have my own gas safe or insurance.

Mike, have you NEVER EVER done a homer?

This sounds more like jealousy me thinks

No we had a family business until 6 years ago so everything was done through that. When I got employed I gave up my personal Corgi and insurance so was not covered for work outside. I know there were guys on the firm doing it but coming from a family business employing people I don't agree with working behind your employers back.

In 5 1/2 years with Iguana/eagaheat/CES the only work I did outside work hours was in my own home, fitting a new boiler for my father and servicing my sisters boiler. I never did any paid work. I passed any jobs over to a mate.

My attitude stems from running a small business where we treated our staff really well and expected loyalty in return. We only ever had one employee work behind our back (using our van and materials) and he was dismissed.

No we had a family business until 6 years ago so everything was done through that. When I got employed I gave up my personal Corgi and insurance so was not covered for work outside. I know there were guys on the firm doing it but coming from a family business employing people I don't agree with working behind your employers back.

In 5 1/2 years with Iguana/eagaheat/CES the only work I did outside work hours was in my own home, fitting a new boiler for my father and servicing my sisters boiler. I never did any paid work. I passed any jobs over to a mate.

My attitude stems from running a small business where we treated our staff really well and expected loyalty in return. We only ever had one employee work behind our back (using our van and materials) and he was dismissed.

fair play then, i think im fairly honest and straight forward but have to admit i have done homers in the distant past

That's different using employers van and materials that's called stealing
But homers are a way of life where I come from everyone does it

I still think it's dodgy as you're working without insurance. If you do it like SouthCoast Boilers and do it on the side legit that's fine.

Even after I got made redundant I wouldn't do any work until I had got my public liability sorted.

It's a sorry state of affairs when you feel you have to ridicule someone for being honest and having morals. Perhaps I'm the odd one out but I'm a great believer in do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I'll put up with many faults with people but I don't like dishonesty.

As you seem to be in the minority on this subject mike
don't realy think it's to do with honesty or Morals imho

I think the tax office may have larger fish to fry IMHO

As you seem to be in the minority on this subject mike
don't realy think it's to do with honesty or Morals imho

As far as I'm concerned it's got everything to do with morals. I think it's a shame that I seem to be in the minority I would have liked to see more honesty amongst professional plumbers. The trouble is it seems to be the norm now in all walks of life.

It's no wonder there is so much distrust nowadays.

Mike, I totally respect that's your way of doing thing, the rest is all just banter, having a giggle, after all thats what the forums are for eh, would be boring without it!

I'm a great believer in do unto others as you would have them do unto you

THEN RUN BEFORE THE POLICE GET THERE

im with simon focus on you and your work they will get there dues

Mike
I reckon most of us professionals are pretty honest and moralistic.
I have trusted people in the past and been shat on big time, doesn't stop me trusting people but I suppose we should look to our ruling classes for guidance.
Think Baroness Warsi who has been caught bang to rights fiddling but will she be prosecuted, I doubt it.

No point in getting excited about it mate, if you feel that strongly about it then shop the fella.

The important thing for me is that I can sleep at night. I've been badly let down many times because I think that others will behave the same as me so I'm now wary of who I trust.

if it was me i would say leave em to it . unless you can be sure he's taking work from as a result of undercutting. then it's affecting you personally then it's your choice. but like everyone says above you will everyone has done at some point in there life.

i drive by a corner shop most days near where i get my boilers and spares and there is always a group of eastern eurpeans waiting to be picked up for work everyday. was told the going rate about ÂŁ25-40 day depending on the trade, now i am tenpted to report that. but would anything get done about it.

I have had crap in the past and respect your opinion Mike, I rarely take a job on. Nowadays that's only earning a few bob but concentrate on where I can earn a living on jobs that are worth it

Most politicians, high rollers, and bankers will steal more from the Inland Revenue than that plumber will ever, and they're doing it 'legally'.

Leave him be. Its none of your business. I know that sounds harsh but it isn't. We don't all have as high morals as Mike. Infact the minority seem to share the same view as me. Which is rare!!

It's a sorry state of affairs when you feel you have to ridicule someone for being honest and having morals. Perhaps I'm the odd one out but I'm a great believer in do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I'll put up with many faults with people but I don't like dishonesty.

Im the same I will not do jobs outside of work unless it is for family. I am in no means a company man but in this day and age there are many hard working self employed around me struggling to make ends meat I do not want to stop them from earning there honest living. If I get offered a job I always pass on the number of whatever company I am working for and tell them I said to call not that the companies ever appreciate it.

And what would happen if something went wrong causing thousands of pounds worth of damage if you do not have insurance who do you think there bloodsucking lawyers will come after for fitting that heating system.

And I have a son never been married (although I think she took advantage of me when I was passed out from too much cider)

as we have said we all have done homers and done jobs cash in hand so i say wise up i think Mike is upset because the guy doing the homers is more driven than him, hes working 9-5 mon to fri and still does plumbing after that.
to me that says he is very driven and a brillant tradesman in the making.
because if your driven nothing will stop you getting work.

You got a few kids, a holiday to pay for Xmas round the corner or your missis has lost her job....

You get 350 a week wages.... And someone offers you a bathroom for 600 on a sat and sun cash....

We don't know his situation...

Could be greed, could be in financial strife, or he could be saving to set up legit on his own. I wouldn't shop anyone in for anything unless it was personal attack on my family.

as we have said we all have done homers and done jobs cash in hand so i say wise up i think Mike is upset because the guy doing the homers is more driven than him, hes working 9-5 mon to fri and still does plumbing after that.
to me that says he is very driven and a brillant tradesman in the making.
because if your driven nothing will stop you getting work.

What a load of complete and utter ball cocks. You know sweet f A about how I'm driven. He is a fraudster in the making as far as I'm concerned. There is a post on here complaining that work is short and blaming giving away free advice. How about blaming the people who are already earning a wage and taking the bread out of the hard working self employed plumbers mouths. There have also been plenty of threads about how we are undervalued as a profession yet people condone working on the cheap.

I used to do some photographic work whilst I was employed but it was legit and I made sure that I was fully insured. If people want to work outside of their main employment I have no issue with it but let's have a level playing field because these people are devaluing the industry.

This sounds more like jealousy me thinks

Well it's lead by the fact that it's personally affected me and my family, yes. I lost a job and the person who has won it has undercut me on the basis he doesn't have business outgoings to pay, isn't declaring, etc.

Jealousy no, I totally understand and have no issue with losing quotes to other plumbing businesses. that's perfectly fair to me. I just want a level playing field.

And it never will
If the customer wants to get the job done cheap with no one to go back to if there a problem no insurance to back the plumber then it's the customers fault if it wasn't him it would be another

times are tough man! i can see why people get annoyed when they cant win jobs, because of uninsured or even un registered people, like people said everyone has done a foreigner or 2 in the past, dont help the tax man shaft anymore of us please god! they get enough of our money! he is just trying to make a crust. if you go down that road mate its a slippery one! just take the morale high ground! i no this doesnt pay the bills but not much more we can do!

its the same as when plumbers ring me asking to commision there boilers! i refuse out of principal!

but lets behonest how many of us have sex with out a rubbber?? its a calculated risk! but if you take it and get caught out its a FAIR COP!!

My opinion is if you want to play the game dont complain if you get burnt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Would you shop someone working at weekends and not declaring tax? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock