Discuss Would you shop someone working at weekends and not declaring tax? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Wondered what you guys would do. A local person I've heard of is working a Mon-Fri job and working in holidays etc at really cheap rates. I am 99% sure they are not declaring tax and undercutting local tradesmen for this reason.

Obviously you can't be 100% sure but what would you guys do in this situation?

Wondered what you guys would do. A local person I've heard of is working a Mon-Fri job and working in holidays etc at really cheap rates. I am 99% sure they are not declaring tax and undercutting local tradesmen for this reason.

I totally see where your coming from, why should we have the hassel and not him. I'd leave him be though, its karma, I'm sure we put everything through the books!

HOWEVER, if he were claiming benefits, WHOLE different matter!

All he's trying to do is earn a bit extra here and there.

how many people who are time served and employee can hold their hand up and say they have NEVER done a cash job (homer to us up here) if you have never done that then report them if you want, im a tax thief not a hypocrite

Isn't there a confidante phone line that you can use to grass people up? It's not the diddling the tax man it's the undercutting genuine tradespeople that pees me off. It's likely the guy is working without any PL insurance if he's doing foreigners.

When I was employed I refused to do any work on the side because I didn't have my own gas safe or insurance.

We have all done it. It is nothing new. When i was employed (a long time ago) i made as much at nights and weekends than i did working monday to friday, many of them passed to me by the company i worked for as it was a way to make me take responsibility for what i did in my own time and personally face the consequences of when it went wrong. It made you a better tradesman.
The difference from then and now is these were mostly the jobs the firms didn't want as they were too busy doing other stuff. Now there are 1000's of guys started up trying to make a living with the dross no one wanted. Shopping someone doesn't stop it and never will.

Isn't there a confidante phone line that you can use to grass people up? It's not the diddling the tax man it's the undercutting genuine tradespeople that pees me off. It's likely the guy is working without any PL insurance if he's doing foreigners.

When I was employed I refused to do any work on the side because I didn't have my own gas safe or insurance.

Mike, have you NEVER EVER done a homer?

This sounds more like jealousy me thinks

No we had a family business until 6 years ago so everything was done through that. When I got employed I gave up my personal Corgi and insurance so was not covered for work outside. I know there were guys on the firm doing it but coming from a family business employing people I don't agree with working behind your employers back.

In 5 1/2 years with Iguana/eagaheat/CES the only work I did outside work hours was in my own home, fitting a new boiler for my father and servicing my sisters boiler. I never did any paid work. I passed any jobs over to a mate.

My attitude stems from running a small business where we treated our staff really well and expected loyalty in return. We only ever had one employee work behind our back (using our van and materials) and he was dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Would you shop someone working at weekends and not declaring tax? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock