Discuss Would you shop someone working at weekends and not declaring tax? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Wondered what you guys would do. A local person I've heard of is working a Mon-Fri job and working in holidays etc at really cheap rates. I am 99% sure they are not declaring tax and undercutting local tradesmen for this reason.

Obviously you can't be 100% sure but what would you guys do in this situation?

No we had a family business until 6 years ago so everything was done through that. When I got employed I gave up my personal Corgi and insurance so was not covered for work outside. I know there were guys on the firm doing it but coming from a family business employing people I don't agree with working behind your employers back.

In 5 1/2 years with Iguana/eagaheat/CES the only work I did outside work hours was in my own home, fitting a new boiler for my father and servicing my sisters boiler. I never did any paid work. I passed any jobs over to a mate.

My attitude stems from running a small business where we treated our staff really well and expected loyalty in return. We only ever had one employee work behind our back (using our van and materials) and he was dismissed.

fair play then, i think im fairly honest and straight forward but have to admit i have done homers in the distant past

No we had a family business until 6 years ago so everything was done through that. When I got employed I gave up my personal Corgi and insurance so was not covered for work outside. I know there were guys on the firm doing it but coming from a family business employing people I don't agree with working behind your employers back.

In 5 1/2 years with Iguana/eagaheat/CES the only work I did outside work hours was in my own home, fitting a new boiler for my father and servicing my sisters boiler. I never did any paid work. I passed any jobs over to a mate.

My attitude stems from running a small business where we treated our staff really well and expected loyalty in return. We only ever had one employee work behind our back (using our van and materials) and he was dismissed.

That's different using employers van and materials that's called stealing
But homers are a way of life where I come from everyone does it

I still think it's dodgy as you're working without insurance. If you do it like SouthCoast Boilers and do it on the side legit that's fine.

It's a sorry state of affairs when you feel you have to ridicule someone for being honest and having morals. Perhaps I'm the odd one out but I'm a great believer in do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I'll put up with many faults with people but I don't like dishonesty.

As you seem to be in the minority on this subject mike
don't realy think it's to do with honesty or Morals imho

As far as I'm concerned it's got everything to do with morals. I think it's a shame that I seem to be in the minority I would have liked to see more honesty amongst professional plumbers. The trouble is it seems to be the norm now in all walks of life.

It's no wonder there is so much distrust nowadays.

Mike, I totally respect that's your way of doing thing, the rest is all just banter, having a giggle, after all thats what the forums are for eh, would be boring without it!

I'm a great believer in do unto others as you would have them do unto you

THEN RUN BEFORE THE POLICE GET THERE

im with simon focus on you and your work they will get there dues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Would you shop someone working at weekends and not declaring tax? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back