Search the forum,

Discuss Wondered how you would deal with this gas situation.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I went to a property today to install a new Range cooker. There was already a Range there but this one has a gas oven instead of an electric oven. There's also a 28KW combi boiler and a 4ish KW gas fire there too.

On commissioning the cooker, the working pressure was about 14mB with the combi running at the same time. Was 18mB without the combi running. Both too low. Had a quick look round and it seems that the gas pipe runs in 22mm from the meter to the tee off for the gas fire the 15mm for around 20m or so before teeing again for the cooker and boiler! Then a run of about 4m on each branch of the tee to cooker and boiler.

Pressure is far too low and so I disconnected the oven telling him I couldn't commission it or sign it off. I've provided a quote for upgrading the gas pipe to 28mm along it's full length (even that is only just going to meet a 1mB drop if I bend instead of solder joints). I'm starting to think I should have ID'd the whole installation and should pop back to do that tomorrow to cover my rear. As it is, I've sent him an email telling him not to use the gas appliances until the pipework is upgraded to suit the appliances in the property.

What would you do in the circumstances?? Am worried about issues with the gas fire and cooker if it's used (which it almost certainly will be). As it was, I couldn't get the oven to ignite whilst commissioning today except manually with a match. Even though the ignitor was sparking it wasn't igniting. Wonder if the low pressure and this are related?

Thanks for all replies,

Keiran.

Did you have a look at the job first ??

I went there today to fit the cooker. I didn't check the existing working pressures before starting as to be honest I just check them once the new cooker is plumbed in and raise it with the customer on the very rare occasion it's an issue. Otherwise my thoughts are I'd spend a lot of time checking installs that are fine and have to charge more!

My question is more knowing that there is an issue would you be happy to leave this install but with the cooker not fitted/commissioned at this stage? Or would you ID the gas pipework given the low readings? The boiler is room sealed so I'm not too bothered about that but I am concerned that the cooker and gas fire will be affected by these low pressure readings.

I went there today to fit the cooker. I didn't check the existing working pressures before starting as to be honest I just check them once the new cooker is plumbed in and raise it with the customer on the very rare occasion it's an issue. Otherwise my thoughts are I'd spend a lot of time checking installs that are fine and have to charge more!

My question is more knowing that there is an issue would you be happy to leave this install but with the cooker not fitted/commissioned at this stage? Or would you ID the gas pipework given the low readings? The boiler is room sealed so I'm not too bothered about that but I am concerned that the cooker and gas fire will be affected by these low pressure readings.

Depends how you made safe the cooker if you just left a bayonet connection on the wall

He could easily go and get one and install it him self

Tricky if he won't touch it would of left him with a written letter

If he was going to id

To be honest if he wants to plug it in and use it it's his call. I'm more worried on whether the low working pressure could negatively affect the existing fire etc, i.e. cause spillage etc. It certainly seems to be affecting the flame on the gas oven causing it to lift off the burner. I'm assuming that's why it's not lighting electrically.

To be honest if he wants to plug it in and use it it's his call. I'm more worried on whether the low working pressure could negatively affect the existing fire etc, i.e. cause spillage etc. It certainly seems to be affecting the flame on the gas oven causing it to lift off the burner. I'm assuming that's why it's not lighting electrically.

Yes which is where I was going so you think he is going to connect it up

I hear you. I've dropped him an email tonight to cover my rear and told him not to connect or use the cooker till it's sorted out.

I've just answered my own question I think, Gas Safety Regulations state it's only ID if it can be proved that the low pressure is affecting combustion of gas appliances. Perhaps I should have checked the gas fire but as it's only 2m from the meter I don't think it will be affected to be fair. Boiler isn't going to be an ID situation anyway as its room sealed. Cooker has been left disconnected so it's on his head if he uses it.

Easy to overthink things I guess but I don't want to be switching off people's gas supplies unless there is a genuine safety issue otherwise I will soon get a bad reputation!

Big difference between not being able to commission a new appliance and the low pressure causing a safety issue that requires switching it off!

Last edited:
I would have issued an At Risk notification for the whole installation, you can explain the risks to the customer get him to sign your paperwork and then after that its up to him if he wants to use the appliances or not. You were right to disconnect the cooker and only commission once pipework upgraded.

As above, it's not really dangerous anyway. I've seen stuff work really low, Transco don't turn off until around 14mbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wondered how you would deal with this gas situation.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock